IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Hi there,
I’ve just started try WL to produce samples for musical instruments.
WL is a wonderful program also for this use, my compliments!

Anyway, I add a couple of request for my specific use:

• Option to inhibit the Auto-Fade In, feature already present in 9.5
  • Loop Tweaker - More zoom levels to magnify the waveform (0.5; 0.25; 0.125; …) That because when you loop an high frequency note, it’s hard to see start/end loop points. For istance, this is a A#6 (3729.3 Hz)

Seems like you buy CUBASE 10 and Wavelab 9.5, you cannot use the plugin Frequency from Cubase install in Wavelab.
I wanted to batch presets i made in Frequency plugin Cubase, to batch them into wavelab. Cannot do that, nice compatibillity…

BUMMER!

One would think that ALL Steinberg products would be able to share their plugins. Why that is not the case remains a mystery.
The other big mystery is why Wavelab has so many problems with certain plugins when Cubase does not have those same problems. Maybe there are different teams within Steinberg and they do not share their “secrets”. Or maybe there is some proprietary coding that is not shared, Anyway maybe someday someone will write a “tell all” book about the inner workings of Steinberg and we will get to know what is happening in the corporate “back room”. FWIW

Here are a few requests…

• When dragging an audio file into the Montage, set focus to Montage so we can hit spacebar or the numeric key’s Enter to play . (Instead of opening the wav in the editor or another app because it was focused on the Explorer/Finder window)

• When double clicking on a Montage file in Windows explorer/Finder, set focus to the montage to be able to play.

• Create a default GFK_Folder in new projects (Instead of a global folder)
    (I’ve sent a client a .gfk file by mistake 0_o )

• Remember the Render path or ‘default to source folder’ in the render tab.
    (I know you can click “Set source folder” in the Location Tab, but having an option to automatically set it to default would be great)

• Command to “Add wavs to Montage” in the File Browser
    (If you are working on a Montage and double click a wav in the File Browser, it opens the Editor. It would be great to add a modifier key, say Alt/Opt to add them to the Montage at the cursor position)

I’m excited for version 10 and from reading on another thread about Steinberg now distributing Spectral Layers. I hope it can be opened from within the montage as an external editor as well as others like RX.

Cheers

Lots of good ideas, but do you know you can already press SHIFT+CMD+I (or program your own shortcut) to directly import files into a new or existing montage? I do this using the native MacOS File Browser inside of WaveLab instead of the WaveLab one which to my eyes is a little small and busy.

Also, default folder behavior can be annoying in various programs, not just WaveLab so for now, I found a great Mac app called Default Folder X:
https://stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

It’s been a big time saver in many apps. If you’re on Windows, I imagine there is a similar solution.

I currently have a programmed shortcut to import wavs. The thing I like about the Wavelab’s File Browser is that it displays Sample Rate and Bit Depth helping to choose the right file and saving time.

I’ll check out Default Folder X: I’m on both Mac and PC so I’ll check for Win version of it.
Thanks

I see, in column view on Mac, it does show you the sample rate and the bit-depth info went away for a few MacOS versions but it’s back in Mojave.

Automation of plugins has been overdue for years. If I have to automate, I can’t use Wavelab on a Master session. And for Mastering, automation is becoming more important than ever. In the past, engineers who use automation in mixes would eliminate the need for Mastering engineers to, but we don’t see same % of those projects as we did in the past. Most of the mizes I get are done by mix engineers a bit too timid to use automation to a large degree. So, I frequently ask for stems. With that said, my magical powers as a Mastering engineer significantly increases with full automation.

But I imagine it would require a big change of code.
    Clip automation, Track automation, Master automation, Master Section automation.
    This is more or less how Sequoia works, and other DAWs (with the exception of Clip plug in automation)
    And you’re right about receiving mixes done very differently than the old days with totally different tools and environments.So, yes Stems and automation could save the day…
  • to be able to use a midi controller (mackie mode like Cubase) in Wavelab element ! pleaaaaaaaase

Yeah, I’m curious about this too. It’s not here yet but I just ordered a Crookwood mastering console that can change inserts and other things via MIDI CC commands which I know very little about.

I have a feeling it’d be nice to program the mastering console console to change inserts from song to song in WaveLab via MIDI CC.

i’m an audio mastering engineer with 15 years of experience and i do mastering for tv broadcast and for tv series published on blu-ray/dvd.
I’ve used wavelab since version 6.Now i have a dedicated powerful pc with windows 10 pro 64 bit.I work totally ITB.I have had some problems with plugins by Ik Multimedia and Wavesfactory but everything has been solved installing the VST3 versions.
I also use a lot of Acustica Audio plugins and here come the big issues.I know that with Wavelab 9.1 there were no problems using AA plugins and the same plugins do not crash when used in Nuendo or Cubase.
Why wavelab has has all this problems since ver 9.5? Why it can’t use the same rendering engine of Nuendo and Cubase??
Now i have the latest update the 9.5.50 version and i still have bugs and crashes with Acustica Audio plugins.I’m quite tired of using patchwork and metaplugin because not always the problem gets solved.For example both metaplugin and patchwork add 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file after the rendering.Even if i use the VST3 version of Acustica Audio plugins i’m not in an error-free situation.Other Daws do NOT have these problems with Acustica Audio plugins but i do love the sound of those plugins and the use of Wavelab for mastering so i strongly hope that all these issues will be fixed in the next release/upgrade of wavelab.If not i will have to buy Nuendo but it’s something i’m not happy about…

Have you tried jbridge? jBridge ( for Windows ) | J's stuff
I find it more transparent, and some plugins actually run better, use the dsp more efficiently, with it.