imported audio playback speed

hi guys,

just installed cubase artist 7 and i’ve imported a 24bit 44.1khz wav but the playback speed is incorrect, alot faster than it should be.

in project setup the sample rate and bit resolution match the imported wav’s properties and my m-audio 192’s sample rate is set to 44100hz.

could anyone please help me with this matter?

cheers,

graph

Is it just the speed that is different, or the speed and the pitch?

Check your prefs: On Import Audio Files - what do you have selected?

hi,

i’m not sure if its just the speed that is different or if its the speed and the pitch.

in prefs, my ‘on import audio files’ settings are: open options dialog is selected and the three boxes below are all unchecked/greyed out. everything in my cubase is pretty much all at default settings.

what i’m doing is setting the project tempo to 175 and the audio i then import happens to be a 175 sample.

if i open up the audio file into sample editor and click off musical mode then the audio plays back at the speed it should (unless the project tempo is not 175). is there a way to not have to do that everytime i import audio?

cheers

Sorry, but how is it possible that you don’t know? :question:

if i open up the audio file into sample editor and click off musical mode then the audio plays back at the speed it should (unless the project tempo is not 175). is there a way to not have to do that everytime i import audio?

If you hover the mouse over the Musical Mode button, what does it say? It says: Playbcak Matched To Bars & Beats So, if you engage Musical Mode, it’s going to attempt to play back the track by matching it to the tempo of the project. If you import a 175bpm file into a 120bpm project and check Musical Mode, Cubase is going to attempt to play back that track at 120bpm. SImply do not check Musical Mode.

Cheers.

hi,

if for example i create an empty project, add a stereo audio track, leave the project tempo at its default (track) 120, when i then playback the audio i just import it will play back as it should (but i want the project tempo to be 175).

if i change the project tempo to (fixed) 175 then the audio i imported speeds/pitches up (or both?). but then if i click on the audio and click on the orange lit (by default) musical note, deactivating ‘it’, the audio plays back fine.

i just thought that could there be a way where whenever i import an audio file i dont have to keep clicking on the audio and deselecting the orange lit musical note icon in order to have the audio play back at its intended/original speed?

cheers

Set the project preference to not be in musical mode as default.

hi,

ive had a look around in preferences but cant see a ‘disable musical mode’ permanently anywhere. i unticked musical mode in the pool window’s view/attributes drop down menu but that doesnt disable musical mode.

where is the ‘set the project preference to not be in musical mode as default’ option?

cheers

Time Base. Default track Time Type

hi,

i tried changing the default track time type from musical to time linear and also tried follow transport main display but whichever type i choose when i import an audio file it still plays back to fast and when i click on it (bringing up the sample editor) that musical note icon is lit orange.

so far the audio/.wav files ive imported could be ‘acidized’ only and i think in the operation manual it does say that cubase will automatically activate musical mode when these type of files are imported.

is there any way you can tell cubase not to do that or is manually opening up the sample editor and de-selecting musical mode the only real workaround available when working with acid loops/files?

cheers

Never use Acid(ized) files so I wouldn’t know, but you may need a restart of Cubase to get the pref change to stick. It’s when creating new tracks that it applies.

hi,

gave it a go, selected time linear, restarted my cubase artist 7, loaded project and created a new audio track, imported file but it didnt make any difference.

so it seems there is no way to work with (what i think are) acidized files without musical mode being automatically enabled, unless you manually switch it off in the sample editor every time.

cheers

This problem was driving me nuts recently.
I’ve never come across it before, but couldn’t find an answer in the forums that completely matched my scenario, and I tried everything (including driver set-up, preferences, re-saving file in WaveLab etc…)

I’ve always just dragged files from the MediaBay into my projects and that worked fine. This time, the only way I could get the result I wanted was to use the File, Import, Audio File… feature.
No idea of the science behind it, but if anyone else is struggling, maybe the File, Import approach will work for you too…