Imported files wrong speed, how do I change them correctly?

Hi!

I have used a tracker MT16 to record drums, bass and guitar, however when I import the tracks to Cubase
its impossible to do overdubs because somehow the files has changed speed slightly so they are all out of pitch. They are in correct pitch with each other, but obviously everything I try to add on to it sounds awful because its just slightly off pitch.

So, question:How do I correct this the best way possible? can cubase analyze the files and understand how much the speed has changed, or do I have to try it out myself and change the speed until its is in tune with any instrument that I would play on top of it, leaving it to my ears to judge then, which I dont trust 100% unfortunately…

Also, how do I change the speed of the imported files without having cubase changing the speed and keeping the current pitch, I mean I WANT the pitch to change as I change speed.

thanks for all the help! very valuable if I can retrieve these files as best as possible as it is impossible for me to do a new recording.

edit: I have one idea: If the only way is to change speed and then listen for the result and judge based on that, then it would be good if I could somehow run a note from the guitartrack where I know what note it plays, and then run that note though the tuner, and see if it matches up perfectly. Any thoughts, regarding if this would be possible using the in-built tuner as a plugin for that channel?

Also, as far as I understand this is not a samplerate issue, I have tried that already, also the files have not changed THAT much, its just small enough for it to be out of tune

as far as I understand this is not a samplerate issue, I have tried that already

Tried what though??

Pretty sure it can only be a sample rate issue.

Thanks for the response!

I got a response from the manufacturer of the Tracker ( the company that does Jamhub) that said that sometimes
it writes inaccurate to SD cards, because the SD cards can sometimes be of not so good quality, I did however use a harddrive, but thought that maybe the issue was the same.

when I import the files cubase tells me that the files are 24 bit and 44kH, which they should be, but still they sound wrong. I still tried to set cubase to 24 bit and 48kH but that REALLy changed the tempo and pitch, chipmunk style…

Anything else I can try/test in relation to Samplerate?

the only other thing I can think of is if my soundcard (which is old) can’t read 24-bit files, which I have never used to record with before, always 16-bit, in that case I can use Audacity to convert from 24 bit 16-bit files first and see if they are correct… but Im note sure…

edit: I have one idea: If the only way is to change speed and then listen for the result and judge based on that, then it would be good if I could somehow run a note from the guitartrack where I know what note it plays, and then run that note though the tuner, and see if it matches up perfectly. Any thoughts, regarding if this would be possible using the in-built tuner as a plugin for that channel?

The bit depth has nothing to do with the speed of the audio file. It’s definitely sample rate problem. Maybe the files have some errors and the files were not writen in a stable sample rate (if possible).
A solution could be to playback the files from the device and record in Cubase (multi track if possible).

Thanks for the idea about using the tracker to play the files. I will look into it, however I think thats impossible unfortunately. Its just designed to me a portable recording device and saves all files into a giant file and I have to separate the files in a stand alone program on the computer. Dont think the tracker is capable of doing that on the fly and play the files separately.

the tuner should help me to find when the files play the proper notes. I just opened the bass recording and it plays clear separate notes, and its obviously out of pitch at the moment. However I am not sure if I have figured out how to change speed and pitch together. does anyone know? should I use another program? (Im using cubase 9 btw)

I have found the “pitch shift” function but it sort of feels as if I would be coming from the wrong direction, I would rather change speed and have the pitch change as a result. However if I consider this function: I unchecked the “time correction” and then changed the “cents” to about -38. this seemed to make the file longer and it did change the pitch, so just want to make sure, is this what I am looking for, it changes the speed of the file and thus also the pitch? Just want to make sure that it does not do anything else, because cubase has so many time stretching features, it might be applying different things, which could result in unessecary quality loss…

I noticed that there was a samplerate changer fuction in the “audio process menu”, could that be a thing to try? cubase says its 44 kH like they should be, but is there any chance that its really like 43 kH and that I can somehow tell cubase that that is what it really is?

What soundcard?

I have an old Phonic firefly (firewire) soundcard/interface, but I even use the built in soundcard when I want to listen in my computer speakers. however I have never had a problem with that as long as I just listen ( cant record with build in soundcard)

I’m afraid I’m stumped.

If you wanted to put one of these audio files online and pm a link I’d be happy to check it’s in the files rather than any setup thing at your end.