Imported Playback Template Questions

After exporting a playback template from a project with seven VST instruments, I imported it to a project with five VST instruments arranged in the same order (call it Project B). Could the difference in number of instruments be why the instruments in Play mode are now in a different order, and one of the instruments isn’t playing?
I had imported earlier to Project B another playback template, and one of the instruments in the imported Endpoint Setup, the Guitar, was missing. I’m wondering if the problem lies in Project B, rather than in the imported templates, because the Guitar is in none of its Endpoint setups, and I don’t know how to put it there. Two instruments need a nylon guitar sound: Bari (Baritone ukulele) and Guitar. I tried to upload the file before playback templates were imported, but the upload message says “0 bytes” (the file has 1.1 MB), and the template I want to use is grayed out. If someone is willing to help me privately, I’d be happy to send the file.

Perhaps the issue, Nancy, is that the underlying instrument types in the two projects are not the same? Particularly if you have to pretend that one instrument is another because Dorico doesn’t include all of the instruments you’re wanting to use, it’s possible that instruments that are named the same in each project are actually two different instruments under the hood, in which case the playback template won’t behave the same way in both projects.

In Setup, if you mean by “under the hood” the Compatible preset tunings, yes—the instruments are different. In one, the cpt for a Baritone ukulele is called “4 strings D3, G3, B3, E4 (project)”; in the other, the cpt is “standard Colombian tiple tuning.” In Play mode, the VST Endpoint dialog lists the instrument as a Guitar. From your question, I infer that the answer likely is to make the Setup cpt the same for both projects.

Yes, indeed. It’s not important, for example, what order the instruments are listed in Setup mode: what matters is that the underlying instrument types themselves are the same. If they’re not, Dorico doesn’t recognise the instruments in the project as being the same as the instruments in the playback template, so it doesn’t know that it should link one to the other.

In Setup, if you mean by “under the hood” the Compatible preset tunings, yes—the instruments are different. In one, the Cpt for a Baritone ukulele is called “4 strings D3, G3, B3, E4 (project)”; in the other, the Cpt is “standard Columbian[sic] tiple tuning.” In Play mode, the VST Endpoint dialog lists the instrument as a Guitar. From your question, I infer that the answer likely is to make the Setup Cpt the same for both projects.

Well, I tried changing Setup>Edit Strings and Tuning. But “4 strings…” compatible tuning would not change to another instrument’s tuning. So I Changed Instrument to Tiple, but could not set the Cpt to Tiple tuning; “4 strings…” didn’t budge. And now, in Play mode, there is no instrument in VST’s HALion Endpoint Setup.

What to try next?

Perhaps you should send me your project and your playback template. Click my name, then the big blue Message button, to send me a private message.