importing CD without clipping

Hi,

I’m in the process of gathering reference tracks for mixing. Because playing an audio CD from CD drive is noisy and not so convenient I am importing audio CDs to my Cubase project.
I found that all of the tracks from both of CDs from Depeche Mode - Singles 86-98 clip after import (although I do not hear it, it is clearly visible on almost every hit). What is the reason of that? May I somehow import the CD without clipping? Is it really possible that such a commercial and well known CD was recorded with clipping? Tracks from other CDs reach -0.1dBFS after import as expected.
Thanks in advance for your clarifications!

Limiters and too hot levels

Probably not recorded, but mastered…

Which does not mean it is “not clipped”-

I found that all of the tracks from both of CDs from Depeche Mode - Singles 86-98 clip after import (although I do not hear it, it is clearly visible on almost every hit). What is the reason of that?

Is it a remastered CD? Then it is a loudness war issue…

Is it really possible that such a commercial and well known CD was recorded with clipping?

Oh yeah! A lot of recent commercial albuns sounds like that. Check Rush (Vapor Trails), Metallica (Death Magnetic), Iron Maiden (Dance of death), and even Depeche Mode (Playing the angel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Good point. Well, everyone says how bad is clipping and I would have never imagined such a serious (clearly visible on a waveform) clipping could take place on a released CD.

This CD was released back in 1998, I thought loudness war has been an issue since 5, maybe 10 years. Seems I was wrong.

Btw, the dynamic range of a whole CD is really smashed: 5 to 7dB all the time…