Importing Finale xml files

Thanks everyone. It’s becoming clear that most of the issues here with spurious rests being inserted and subsequent notes being shunted forward, are due to trill and gliassnado martkings in the original score. Possibly smart shapes in general. I’m working my way through, deleting here and there and observing the results. A bit tedious but if it means simply reinserting trills then that’s a big step forward!
Changing import options to only tick ‘Text’ didn’t actually make a difference for me.

Yes, any Human Playback ‘hidden notes’ need to be removed before import.

Thank you benwiggy – although I had previously cleared all human playback from the score, and a playback confirmed that, when I turned on show hidden rests/notes, there were two bars which had not cleared. Worth bearing this in mind – knowing this would have saved me two days of frustration!

Just a little puzzled at several bars in the harp and celeste parts which show some notes in red (attached).

As these are not out of range, does this mean that these particular notes have been placed into another voice/layer? I’m sure the colour change isn’t for aesthetic effect!

Dorico colours Harp notes red until you Calculate Harp Pedals accordingly. Until you’ve done that, the notes are technically out of range.
(We could, of course, get onto a conversation about the range of pedal notation that living, breathing harpists like to see on the page - I’m just stating the way that Dorico handles this.)

Many thanks for that - saved me some stressing. I spend most of my playing life (when allowed) sitting next to harpists, so I get quite a bit of feedback as to what they like, even if they don’t actually say it!

In fact, I use Notion 6 for this exact purpose, generally translating MusicXML from Sibelius and Finale for use in other apps. Between that and Notion’s VI mixer, it’s well worth the $$ for me. Otherwise, I can’t stand the workflow.

The Notion crossgrade is $79 but you have to write them for a code—not on their web site.

I’m not a fan of MuseScore for this — I check it once a year or so to see how much has improved, if any, in this regard. Free and worth every penny, IMO.