Importing Garageband into Dorico SE

Can I import Garageband files into Dorico SE and then edit in Dorico SE? If so, please describe the process.

Hi.

Welcome to the Dorico forum.

As well as reading files in its own “native” format (of course), Dorico can import files in the following formats: MIDI, MusicXML and Tempo Tracks. If GarageBand can export files in any of those formats, you have a chance.
Keep in mind that when exporting from one application for import into a different application via a format that is understood by both, there is usually some tidying-up to be done once the file has been imported. Sometimes the tidying-up is relatively minor, while at other times it can be quite extensive.

I have successfully imported MIDI and MusicXML files into Dorico, but have no experience with Tempo Tracks so cannot give any information there.

You might well be able to read a file once it has been successfully imported but you will probably find that you are limited in what can be edited, as Dorico SE is the free version. I do know that Dorico SE does have some limits, but I have not used that version. Other users would be better placed to comment on what can and can’t be done.

I don’t know if GarageBand can export MIDI files or MusicXML files. Its “big brother” Logic Pro probably can, but that is a much more fully-featured application and has a heftier price tag.

Usually the Export feature can be found in the File menu. You will have to check in GarageBand to see if it is there and what formats it can export. I seem to recall from my very limited experience with GarageBand, many years ago, that it is designed to save/export sound files files (such as AIFF, MP3, etc.) and that’s about it.

Steve:

Thanks for the response. What are your thoughts about this alternative in which we remove GarageBand as the middleman?

(1) Record directly from the P-515 in Midi via a thumb drive (or connecting to my computer with a USB cord);
(2) Save those files on the computer to the DeskTop;
(3) Import the files to Dorico SE via the Hub’s “Open Other” tab, and then
(4) Edit in Dorico SE.

Dan

Hi Dan,

The actual physical method used to transfer files should not make a difference, whether it is by USB thumb drive, direct cable connection, wi-fi transfer, etc. The important things are 1) the format of the file (MIDI in this situation) and 2) getting the files to a location where Dorico SE can see them. Then import the files to Dorico SE via the Hub’s “Open Other” tab. At this point you will be at the mercy of the limits in Dorico SE. To find out what the limits are, in comparison with the two higher versions (Elements and Pro), visit Compare the Versions of Dorico: Elements & Pro | Steinberg . I imagine that the one which will impact you the most is the limit of two players. You will still be able to open, play and print files with more than two players but you will not be able to edit them.

If you really do need the extra functionality of Dorico Elements or Pro, have a look at the Dorico trial version. It is basically the full version, but with a trial period of 30 days - Try Dorico Now for 30 Days for Free | Steinberg .

Steven