Importing Key Switches

Hi All.

I am using Cubase 8.5 pro and am having my first attempt at using the expression map feature.

According to the manual:

“2.Select the track, open the Expression Map section in the Inspector, and select
“Import Key Switches” on the pop-up menu. Note that this menu option will
only be available when the loaded program contains key switches.”

The problem I have is that there is no option to “Import Key Switches”.

I have tried it with several VST Instrument tracks (mainly from East West Symphonic Orchestra items including Cello, Strings, Classical Guitar etc etc ) but all to no avail.

Would so appreciate some guidance on what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

When you click on the track, and then click on Expression Map, it should say ‘no expression map’ and clicking on the right side of that brings up a pull-down menu that says ‘Expression Map Setup’. And thats when you get the popup that allows you to load the map. I just did this a couple of weeks ago and it worked. I can’t remember what folder I had to put the map in, though. Can you explain Expression Maps to me? in Baby talk? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply, it is appreciated.
And thank you for the link to your similar question. I will look at that in detail.
I had already managed to get to the point you described, however from what I understand (or think I understand), I am not looking to “Load” previously saved settings but to “import” settings that are already part of the VST Instrument.
…maybe??
Thanks again for your reply and enjoy the festive break

Hmm not sure. It might be a case of the very blind leading the blind. We might need Raino (Rodger) to step in!

Yes the break is awesome and allowing me to spend more time on Cubase :slight_smile:

My thoughts exactly, have been taking in all the info you got from Raino and think I am getting somewhere.
Anyway we will keep trying.
Enjoy

Importing keyswitches directly only works for Steinberg instruments like Halion5/Sonic 2. I think if others will switch to VST3 some day it might also work for them. I am not sure its restricted to that. Right now you have to create the map yourself or hopefully someone did it allready and provides it.

Thanks for your reply.
That would certainly explain why nothing pops up. I will try with the Halion5 and see what comes up.
Cheers and thanks again