Importing MusicXML file created in Cubase into Dorico

I imported a MusicXML file created in the score window of Cubase Pro into Dorico, but there were plenty of shortcomings/errors in the score of Dorico. Practically thinking the result was an empty score.

The problem was that only a few bars of music in the beginning of piece were converted into the score and most of the bars were left blank or actually marked with vertical lines between bar lines.

As I tested the same import operation with the same MusicXML file in Sibelius, the result was good so that every bar was filled with music (not completely but satisfactorily to be easily edited).

I wander if this a known issue. At least I didn’t fine any similar posts in the Dorico forum.

It sounds as if there is a tuplet structure that Dorico is choking on. Import from Cubase in general works fine, but there are no doubt some specific situations in which problems can arise. Can you zip up and attach the MusicXML file you exported from Cubase?

Will dorico, in the future be able to import midifiles created in cubase that includes tuplets as 3, 5, 6, and 7. You dont want to first notate this in cubase just to create an xml-file.

Best R
Lars

The trouble is that MIDI doesn’t actually represent tuplets directly, as I’m sure you know: it simply gives each note a duration in ticks, and it’s up to the application that consumes the MIDI file to try to make sense of it. Dorico and Cubase have very different requirements when it comes to the transcription of data from MIDI files, so they cannot easily share the same code. Therefore there will always be a degree of interpretation involved in figuring out what tuplet structures might be used in a MIDI file. There is of course plenty of scope for us to continue improving MIDI transcription in Dorico, but it is just one of many things competing for our limited development time.

Yes I know that the midi must be interpreted by the reading software and that many decisions must be made and that it’s tricky, but since I work alot with trying to import midifiles to finale and sibelius (earlier) I have a suggestion. It is very easy to edit the mididata in cubase to create something that should be perfect for dorico (in this case), I mean some kind of perfect situation, easiest to read case… But we need to know what is. I have made an midifile with cubase and I divided the bar in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 28 and 32. With exact note-lengths but still dorico cant transcribe it. I’m not talking here about to try to interpret a live recording but an edited file with fixed durations an startingpoints. I believe that maybe the easiest way (if there is any) is that dorico somehow works fine together with perfect files from cubase (since it is steinberg) I try to attach some screenshots.

All the best, dorico is from heaven sent!
Lars

Can you zip up both the Cubase project and the MIDI file and attach it here, Lars?

Yes, of course, no problems.
midi_test.zip (158 KB)

Thanks: when we come to do more work on quantization, this will no doubt be very helpful.

Thanks for providing this file Lars. I was quite surprised the results were so bad with this MIDI file as our internal tests use some of the same tuplet combinations and it’s detecting them fine there (for 3,5,7 tuplets). When I next look at it I will use your file to diagnose what is going wrong.

Hello Paul!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and receive feedback. I have a lot of thoughts and suggestions for importing midifiles because I have been working a lot with it for many years. In my file, it may be that the tones are a bit too long and that they lack a short break between them? As I said earlier, I strongly believe in the idea that cubase and dorico hopefully can collaborate nicely and easily in the future since they are such a great softwares.

Dorico is from heaven sent! All the best!
Lars

Hi Lars,

I’ve done some more work on tuplet importing and we now have much better results. See the attached for how this file will import in the next update:

Very impressing!
Good work.