Importing renaissance clefs

This is a keyboard piece from 1699 using the original notation. It was made in Sibelius.

I imported it into Dorico via XML.

Can I remove the pink flags that adorn every bar and restore the 3/4 signature, please, or do I have to start a new flow in Dorico and copy the notes in?

Many thanks,

David

Try deleting the initial C time signature and adding a 3/4 time signature. If that doesn’t work, the quickest way round this is probably to Select All (not using the System Track) and paste into a new flow.

Thanks for rapid response.

But I need both the C and 3/4.

David

Fudge it with an interchangeable time signature at bar 1, followed by a hidden 3/4 time signature at bar 2.

Ooh, nice one, Leo! That’s going to get some use!

It was new to me, too, Ben, but I can’t think of a better way.

Thanks! I’ll try it. I’d better read up on interchangeable time signatures. That’s surely not in Grove! :slight_smile:

D

Sorry, can you be more explicit about the steps to get C3/4, please, I can only achieve one or the other.
D

Like this:

A lot of things there I have never needed to do before! BUT when I try to drag the 4/4+3/4, it doesnt move. I am in write mode.

D

OK. Got it. I need to hold alt down while dragging and the is not /, but ’ ’

Many thanks!

David

You don’t need to drag. Click the time signature at the bottom of the right panel, then release the mouse - the cursor should now be “loaded”. Now click at the start of the bar where you want to place the time signature.
Alternatively, select a note/rest/barline/whatever on the page, then click the time signature button at the bottom of the right panel.

It worked, with one strange consequence: the minims at the beginning of the first bar turned into tied crotchets when I added the 3/4 at the beginning of bar 2 and all my attempts to force duration have failed.

David

Dear David,
Regarding the attempts with force duration, have you :

1. Selected the first chord
  2. Pressed o
  3. Pressed 6
  4. Pressed 7 ?
    My experience is that the order of 2. and 3. does not matter. But you have to press them anyway. 6, then 7. (could be 4, 5 or 3, then 7, of course)
    Does it work for you ?

Persevere with Force Duration. Just in case you’re missing something:

1. Select the tied crotchets and (assuming at this point Force Duration is not highlighted in the left panel) type O67
  2. Select the crotchet tied to a quaver and (with the same proviso as above) type O6. [dot]
    If that really really doesn’t work, please upload an excerpt of the project.

Well, I’m glad to see Leo has the same workflow I have :slight_smile:

I’ve run across this precise notation before, and my solution was slightly different. If forcing durations is your sticking point, this might help.

Is this the only time signature in the document/file? If so, you could always use the symbol editor to edit the Time Signature “3” to appear as “C 3/4” like so:

If you need other time signatures in the same file, you could still use this method and just use a different time signature glyph like “7,” but that would create the same problem you’re dealing with above.

Actually, on second thought, if you did indeed need other time signatures in the same file, you could in fact use 7. Edit the music symbol for 7 in the same way as before, but when entering it in the score, enter it as [3+4]/4. Then just cut the bar off early with a hidden 3/4 as per usual. That will definitely give you the note grouping that you have pictured (though, I dunno if you need this to appear more often and to what effect in those cases, but it will at least work for what you have pictured :wink: ).

Leo, what software do you use to produce your very helpful demonstration?

Giphy Capture. The direct upload function seems to have broken recently, but otherwise it’s pretty good for quick Gifs.