importing xml orchestra files

I have been using dorico to write piano music with no problems (other than no pedal indications. I know, just wait).
because it was just for piano I just never had any problems of fitting the music to the page (staff size, etc wasn’t a problem). but I am importing an xml file of an orchestra work and when it was on the monitor all of the staffs ran together. In sibelius I would be sure that the orchestra was on tabloid size paper and could quickly adjust the staff size to make them smaller if they ran together (no, I am not a sibelius fan anymore, but just found out that I really know little about working with dorico but putting small ensemble music on paper or starting with their template for orchestra music).

I have played with it a while and seem to be getting no where.

  1. how can I be sure that I am working with 11x17 format
  2. how can I change the staff size to make it fit on the page

a bit sobering that there is so much more to learn.

In Setup mode, go to Setup/Layout Options.

Select the layouts you want to edit in the left hand column. (For example you can have different paper size, etc, for the score and the parts).

The Page Setup panel sets the paper size and staff size. If you want more options, see the other panels.

thanks. that’s what I was looking for. did see it when searching for solutions but didn’t see the forest for the trees.just never had the problem with piano music and dorico.

also noticed that force stems up and down does not seem to work in this imported xml orchestra score. not sure if it is a problem in this score or a bug in general.

The problem is that the XML file can contain forced directions for all the stems in the score, which is useful because different notation software might have different ideas about what the default directions should be.

Try selecting the whole score and then Edit/Reset Appearance and Edit/Reset Position, to get rid of the XML formatting.

thanks once again

nope, that didn’t do it. all in all, xml import as a technique works rather well; especially if compared to the old days of using MIDI and plug-ins. wouldn’t publish from it. probably would have to delete and re-enter notes, etc. work was a draft in progress so will see when it is finished what is needed.

This thread https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=103562&p=570528&hilit=xml+stem#p570528 suggests also doing “remove forced stem” in the right-click menu before “forced stem up/down”.

(Sorry, I forgot about that in my previous post.)

yup, that did it. the answers are so obvious in dorico that once we know them, they stick. now that you mentioned the earlier post, I do remember reading (but, at 73 I am allowed one senior moment).

in an orchestra score, how do you just show an individual player and not the full score. I see layout options in setup with their own pg size and staff size, but not an obvious path to work on these separately. doesn’t occur in dorico? I wrote daniel to clarify how to show multiple rests in parts. there is apparently an option in the individual player to be on for this to work.

as a further step, how do you make a pdf of just one player?

Layouts are your window onto/into individual parts. If your layouts contain multiple, unwanted players, uncheck the unwanted players’ checkboxes in the Player column. WARNING: I always leave one layout (Full Score) that contains ALL parts to be sure I never uncheck a player in all layouts and lose all that player’s music that I have entered.
layouts.png
You can also add players to a layout. I often take a singer’s layout (since I would never hand a singer just his or her part with no accompaniment) and add the rehearsal keyboard player to it to form a Piano/Vocal Score. And you can create new layouts to contain any players you wish.

To print a PDF of a part, choose the appropriate part/Layout in the lefthand column and choose Graphics in the print column on the right.
layouts2.png

thanks much. had been working only for piano to learn dorico and this was my first venture into larger ensembles and a need for parts, etc. did discover it eventually, but I guess that is how most of us have handled this (with suggestions from the forum to point in a direction, then digging around).