Thanks for your prompt and patient replies. I do not have access to individual parts unfortunately.
I tried using Photoscore Ultimate but got very poor recognition. The original, a PDF score, was received digitally as a PDF file and imported to the scanning program digitally. The original PDF had extremely fine lines for staff lines and bar lines, and the window in Photoscore that shows the original image oddly showed symbols, such as quarter rests and quarter note heads, that seemed “hollow” or faded in the middle. I presume that either the faded symbols and/or fine lines in the original, caused the poor recognition. I also tried using image programs to thicken and darken the lines in the original, which I was able to do, but the poor recognition did not improve. (I realize this isn’t a Photoscore forum. Just trying to fully answer the question asked.)
What I haven’t tried is actually printing out the scoring and “re-scanning” it from a physical printout. …and I will try that.
Since Photoscore was not giving a good result, I tried an iOS app called “Music Scanner”. I got much better recognition, exported as xml, airdropped to my Mac, and imported to Dorico. The Dorico file attached is of 2 pages of the score. (I also attached the XML file. Both files are compressed in zip format. Note: I mistakenly called the PDF file “XML”. I corrected the name to “PDF file by jamag” and re-uploaded it.) There are a number of misrecognitions, which is to be expected, but many all are subsumed within the meter in an expected way, except…Notice measure 4 of staff three “Piano 3,” a whole rest. The bar line seems out of place. When I click into that measure, no rhythmic grid is shown over the rest. When I attempt to assign a 4/4 meter at the beginning, the meter issue doesn’t seem to correct. Oddly (and probably a separate issue), the 4/4 symbol only appears in a few of the staves, on Piano 3, 9, and 15. I would expect the time signature to appear on all the staves.
In scanning, I sometimes find an extra rest at the end of the measure making the measure “too full” of rhythms. I tried “remove rests”, but that just seems to hide the rest, not delete it.
I’m beginning to think, as others have suggested, that it’s best just to enter the music “by hand” in Dorico, presuming some proficiency in note entry. Or, scan the music in but delete the music in the measures that are far from the original, and re-enter just those measures. But that will still be difficult to do without the meter issue being resolved.
PDF file by jamag.zip (73.4 KB)
XML file by jamag.zip (73.4 KB)
Dorico xml import by jamag.dorico.zip (1.42 MB)