Impossible to count clips and takes.

I’ve noticed it is impossible to count clips and takes in Cubase and Nuendo without counting them manually.

A deleted recording, even after removed from the audio pool and trash, will still take possession of the file name it had. Eg, We have a track called ‘audio’, files audio01 audio02 audio03 have been recorded, audio03 deleted from project, trash and pool. Continue to record on the track, the next file will now be labeled audio4 even though we have attempted to eliminate audio3 from existence.

-Cubase and Nuendo will not count the selected clips.

So… If you have to record a certain number of files for a corporate project. You have to manually count them since the file number of the last file is larger than the actual number of files you have as it is counting the deleted files.

Surely there should be some way around this? Any ideas? It will count the ‘used’ files in the pool but that is for the entire project, not a certain track or anything

Oddly, saving and reverting the project after removing a deleted clip from the trash ‘will’ make the deleted clip name available again. It just takes too long to actually be useful to save and revert a project on every single mistake/deleted clip.

Anyone know a better work around? At the moment I am having to use a tap count application on my phone.

Ctrl+B for the Browser help any? (Cubase only apparently)

Nope but it is interesting since I’ve never really used the browser window. It won’t show how many takes are on the track or how many are selected.

Guess that’s what the Notepad at track left is for.
Can’t recall any mention before so how does everyone esle do it. I just make notes myself. My engineers all seem to be related to elephants. They remember everything! Maybe Steinberg wrote Cubase for them. :mrgreen:

to manually count 400 takes in notepad is crazy. It’s quicker to tap the tap counter on my phone. Very crazy that they don’t just tell you how many files are selected in the pool or how many clips you select in the arrange window. This is my first huge workflow killer that I have come across in Cubase. It would be so easy to implement. Is there really not a way to currently do this?

400 takes per track!? You trying to record Beethoiven’s 9th using monkeys? :mrgreen:
I’d like to see any DAW take-counter helping much with that lot. Do the other DAWs also tell you which ones you want to replace or keep?

It would be so easy to implement. Is there really not a way to currently do this?

I take it you are a great DAW programmer if you KNOW it’s so easy. Advice; don’t go on the DAWs property shouting that fixing your unique (400 takes!?) problem is easy (for them but not for you) to fix.
Second sentence; I’ll look around to see if there’s anything handy.
Meanwhile it would be very (nay, extremely) easy for you to implement a google search to look for a program that counts things. “take counter” in a google search comes to this simple mind.
Pencil and paper used to suffice before they invented the typewriter. And it’s still pretty good for hard copy that you can’t blame the machine for ufcking up. :mrgreen:

Saying all that if it isn’t there it would not be a bad feature request as I’m sure it actually would come in handy.

Well it’s a corporate contract so I’m not actually allowed to say what it’s for but since Nuendo is supposed to be ‘post production software’, you would think a lot of people might have to keep track of take and script numbers that are actually in the project, and/or on a track, not how many takes have ever been recorded in the history of your session ever. I think it’s fairly reasonable to assume something that just counts data in numbers would be pretty easy to code, calculators have been around since old dos computers. My phone is smarter than Nuendo at counting takes at the moment but I have to keep tapping it hundreds of times. I consider it a big flaw in the program that has been overlooked although it won’t effect most people until perhaps one day when you get a super large script and have to count hundreds of clips to make sure you haven’t missed anything and that they match up with the number of lines.

At least everyone so far can agree it is a good idea, whether it is useful for yourself or not.

Can we get hundreds of people agreeing that it is good? Steinberg might decide to put it in the next Cubase and Nuendo update. I’m hoping they will see this post and think ‘Why didn’t we think of such a simple idea?’

Select all the audio events you want to count then view statistics. It will open a window for every event, but it will place them right on top of one another. Close them all and count the clicks.