improve izotpe rx connect integration

Hi guys
I’m searching for a better integration of izotope rx connect with nuendo.
So maybe you can help me with it.
I’m working with nuendo 7 and a nuage controller, and it’s kind of tricky:
the yamaha nuage controller is able to control 3 daw at the same time so the best thing will be to be able to control nuendo with daw1 and rx connect stand alone with daw2(for exemple).(any thought?)
so it will be heaven to control play stop scroll select and zoom, and the different tool selections with the nuage controller.
Right now the integration is kind of a PITA (please correct me if i’m wrong)
How it works:(before you have to put the rx monitor on an fx track to ear the rx throught nuendo) you select a cue on nuendo, apply the rx connect plugin, you have to process it to send it to the rx connect, first problem: if you where in solo mode for the track you are working on you are stucked because when you are in the rx connect soft you can’t hear it (because the fx track is mute due to the solo mode). so you have to get back in the nuendo, close the rx plug in to access to the disable solo, re-open the rx plug in to apply it tu the cue, and came back in the rx connect.
maybe there is a way to put the rx monitor somewhere after the solo mode in the monitoring of nuendo. I was thinking of ext1 for ex. but it’s the same: when you’re in rx connect(so out of nuendo) you can not control the monitoring (so when you push the ext button) and however you can not control it with the nuage while a plug in window is open.
So there’s a lot of things that make the process complex.
but the best will be to make possible the control of rx connect stand alone by the nuage controller.
thanks a lot any help will be nice
Gilles
P.S. what about a nuage section in the forum?

You should surely be able to just solo-defeat the FX-channel, no?

There are far worse problems with iZotope RX’ integration with Nuendo. iZotope gave up on trying to fix those issues, which is garbage seeing that they marketed a certain functionality which they now abandoned. I would bet my money on Nuendo’s relatively poor windows management as being part of the problem, with the way it locks out access to the main app when an offline process window is open as well as what happens when switching apps in terms of window focus. In other words I’m guessing iZotope gave up because Steinberg did nothing to help, and of course the threads already started on this yielded zero response from Steinberg, which is par for the course.

Hi Lydiot
thanks for your reply.
In fact i just learn this today: I can effectively solo defeat the fx-channel, or simply let the RX connect share my audio devices driver with nuendo, …
i’m also looking for something else:
if possible: a macro to :
-process rx connect
-apply(sic)
-process rx connect(again)

but as you probably know i can’t make the ‘‘apply(process)’’ of the plugin (or the key command enter)programmable(or i don’t know how)
this would be time saver avoiding going back and forth between nuendo and rx connect for process the modifications of the file.

thanks for the links for the other posts.
Gilles

I’m not sure I understand what you mean…

okay sorry i’m french :wink:
so:
is there a way to make a macro for this:
you select a file in your project than launch a macro that :
open a rx connect plug in,
push the process button,
and re-open a rx connect plug in.

so it’s possible to send back the sound asap because the rx connect plugin is waiting for it.
i don’t know if it’s clear…
i’ve tried it but i don’t know how to make it work because there is an issue with the hit process button in the plug which i can’t put in the macro …just to gain one more click

Yeah, I still don’t get it… Je ne le pas compredre… Or whatever it is in French (You’re far better at English than me at French btw).

I have a key command for opening a plugin, but as far as I know there’s no key command for selecting the right dialog box and hitting enter. For that you’d need a macro generator outside of Nuendo. I have a programmable keyboard I use for this. It used to be fine, but after Steinberg messed up the window management it no longer works well. Basically, what the keyboard would do is:

1. Send key press “R” (for example). “R” would correspond in Nuendo to the function of opening RX connect.
  2. Send key press “Enter”, if the “process” button is always highlighted when the window opens.

So those two would put me in iZotope RX standalone application - assuming it would switch successfully, which it wouldn’t always do. But either way, that’s the way to go about it I think; you’ll need something outside of Nuendo to get that done.

What completely sucks though is that now since they “fixed” window management, you might actually NOT end up where you want to be when you switch back from your app. So if I still used the above setup, my next macro would have been:

1. Send key presses “Win key” + “TAB”, which would switch me back to Nuendo.
  2. Send key press “R” as above.
  3. Send key press "Enter"as above.

But now, since I’m working in post-production, I have a movie window open. Since I do, Nuendo places me in that window instead of the project window, even though I came from the project window. And other windows create the same issue. So I have temporarily given up on iZotope Connect in Nuendo.

I didn’t think this was a big deal until I recently worked on a show in a different studio that had this all set up properly in Pro Tools, and it was sooooooooo smooth. Very very fast workflow.

I expect absolutely nothing will change on Steinberg’s side to fix this, or on iZotope’s (no doubt because of the former).

I don’t want to sound OT, but maybe our friends at iZotope and Steinberg could get together and make the processing more like this:

select a region in the project window
double click
rx opens as an editor where you do the changes
close editor
get on with working

Maybe ARA by Celemony would help?
If I understand it correctly this is how Studio One handles Melodyne. (As an editor that seems to be internal)

Ollie

…if i remember right, it was the way it used to work with RX3 - or, to be more specific, with the spectral editor. from RX4 on, it all changed…
btw, all those windows-problems are W10-specific.
on the mac, i have a shortcut to call RX-connect / press on pre-listen / clip loaded in RX standalone / working there / send back / calculate.
far from great, but i’ve been surviving it.
when i do have some longer clips that need treatment in RX, it’s getting painful though, as you have to pre-listen all the clip in order to load it in RX. so, with some minutes of material to go… no way.
in such cases, i create a backup-folder of the original tracks, copy them, open the original files from the audio-folder straight into RX, work there, and simply overwrite the source (same name of course). NU will generate a new waveform out of that, and just sees the new file as beeing the old one. so, even if you have a bunch of edits out of that file, all will stay in place.

but still a kind of pita.

b.

It actually didn’t work like that in RX3.

You have similar problems on Win 7, so it’s not exclusive to Win 10. If anything they might be Nuendo 7 specific.

That’s odd. The one thing that has worked for me is actually getting the clip to RX. In the end I adopted a different workflow simply because there was no time gain unless I used “connect” to get the clip back into Nuendo. But I ended up getting crashes and I before I had time to iron out what caused it (related to naming I believe) I had moved on to more important things and just adjusted my workflow.

Well, you’re sort of close to that at least (maybe). You should be able to open the “connect” plugin via a key command, then press enter as long as the default selected buttons are “repair” and “process”, and if the gods of technology are with you RX should get focused and have the event imported. The trick is to get that audio back without Nuendo crashing, as well as using “reference” if you need to (which doesn’t really work without being a big p.i.t.a.).

The trick to avoid crashing is not to be too fast. If you wait a bit it will not crash.

Ollie[/quote]

…if i remember right, it was the way it used to work with RX3 - or, to be more specific, with the spectral editor. from RX4 on, it all changed…
btw, all those windows-problems are W10-specific.
on the mac, i have a shortcut to call RX-connect / press on pre-listen / clip loaded in RX standalone / working there / send back / calculate.
far from great, but i’ve been surviving it.
when i do have some longer clips that need treatment in RX, it’s getting painful though, as you have to pre-listen all the clip in order to load it in RX. so, with some minutes of material to go… no way.
in such cases, i create a backup-folder of the original tracks, copy them, open the original files from the audio-folder straight into RX, work there, and simply overwrite the source (same name of course). NU will generate a new waveform out of that, and just sees the new file as beeing the old one. so, even if you have a bunch of edits out of that file, all will stay in place.

but still a kind of pita.

I just discovered that you can punch on the process button instead of the pre-listen button. then the file goes directly to rx connect and opening it(if not). so it’s quiet the same as in PT. and it’s sooooo time saving.

thanks all for your replies, it’s good to fell less alone… :smiley:

Well, to me then the whole point of “connect” is sort of meaningless, if I have to wait for Nuendo to not crash. What I started doing was simply bouncing events to new files, swapping to RX standalone and import/edit/export, go back to Nuendo and delete/import to track. Quite frankly while it’s not very fast, and certainly slower than a functioning “connect” in Pro Tools, it’s still faster than taking a chance and crashing Nuendo, losing work in the process.

That’s what I was talking about earlier. But you have to be a bit careful as it sometimes crashes Nuendo.

Is this back & forth behavior has been addressed and fixed in RX5 ?
I’m on RX4 advanced and all issues mentioned above are valid.
I’m only using connect to export, then do my thing in RX and without re connecting , just save the result/s in a dedicated folder inside the Nuendo project.
Then…manually re import.

Longer, but crash free…

As far as I know not fixed. It was like pulling teeth getting iZotope employees to acknowledge that RX4 is done (no more development), and they maintain that it generally works generally for general users… or something like that. In other words they know there’s a problem, it’s still in RX5, they aren’t going to fix it for existing RX4 users and probably not for RX5 users, but have changed their wording in the promo material to be consistent with reality (which someone could learn a lesson from btw).

So, I have no hope that it will ever work as smoothly as in Pro Tools.

In recent history I can’t think of a single plugin that has been so embraced by the post community as RX. It’s baffling that Steinberg says nothing about it…

…unfortunately, same pita in RX5 indeed.
what i would love to see is the same tight integration i had between renovator and pyramix.

b.