Improved auto saves (that lose less work on a crash)

It would be great if the auto save could be improved to lose less work when Cubase crashes. A couple of ideas for this:

• Autosaving after significant actions e.g. recording audio / midi, creating tracks etc
  • Keeping more frequent recent autosaves: i.e. saves for every minute in the last five minutes, then every 10 mins for the last hour, then every hour for the last half day (or something similar)

NB: Dependency - in order for it to work, auto-saves would need to asynchronous and/or lightweight enough to be transparent, for example by autosaving a delta for recent saves

1 Like

+1 for async saving in general, it’ll be such a workflow dream! With modern ram quantities, creating a snapshot of the current state in Ram, then spinning a thread to save should no be a big resources penalty in principle. Of course, no idea about the actual feasibility of it.

This is a little bit off topic, but with my past experience with using auto save I found that it lead to cubase application instability and it would often crash cubase while it was performing the auto save if I was playing around with a VST / turning knobs at the same time. I haven’t used it for years because I have no trust in the auto save functionality anymore.

I love the RAM buffer snap shot idea. Although I don’t know how much RAM allocation would be required, how difficult it would be to implement and if it’s a viable concept in general.