Improvement suggestions

Thank you for this suggestion, yes the possibilities to assign key shortcuts are amazing!

However my perspective right now is teaching Dorico to young composer students. To make them experience Dorico as not only a powerful and beautiful piece of software but also easy to use. The learning curve would be faster if the basic stuff that composers today need would not demand customization or that many steps that we are discussing here.

I am fully appreciating the awesome possibilities for customization in Dorico. I am using it a lot myself and I will teach my students to define key shortcuts and playing techniques.

But the things that we do using customization will not be mentioned in the Operation Manual. Someone who is searching for how to do a General Pause will not find it even though the manual has well over one thousand pages. So that’s another advantage if it would be included in the Holds and Pauses tools as is suggested in the beginning of this thread.

I found this thread while searching the web for how to do a general pause in Dorico. It started 2017 and Daniel kindly commented it the same year. So just a little reminder :slight_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but playing techniques only apply to one staff in a score. A fermata is a system thing that will appear in all the parts. Same thing with System Text. Therefore I don’t believe that the General Pause as a Playing Technique is ideal. It can be used but then you have to copy it to every staff/Player. And this will have other consequences.

Yes, creating a playing technique is probably not the best way to do it. If you were going to do it using a workaround, probably a better bet would be to use Engrave > Music Symbols as in FredGUnn’s earlier post in the thread.

Adding a G.P. to the Fermata section would be incredibly useful to me.

I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t add this in due course.

Am I right that this hasn’t happened yet?

Correct, no change here.