In praise of new cues!!!

I have a passage where I need a cue, and was bracing myself for a long time trying to figure it out. In Finale, knowing exactly what to do, this would have been a 15-20 minute job, between entries and tweaking. In Dorico, not knowing exactly how to proceed, it took about a minute! There was some twiddling, but it was all clear and in the properties panel.

The cue I need is in the same measure and simultaneous with the music of a cello part. The marimba is playing a passage in quintuplets. The cello has a pizz on every third note. This is to sound like triplets, but the quintuplets are to make this a reference to a different tempo. So I want the marimba part shown rhythmically directly above the cello part. With this cue, the execution of this passage is relatively easy. Without it, we’re talking about a wasted 10-15 minutes of rehearsal time (assuming a clued-in conductor).

Here is a screen shot:
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 10.47.55 AM.png
Congrats, Dorico team, on a spectacular implementation of cues!!

Thanks, David. I’m really pleased to hear that the new features are working well for you.

That is a really nice cue!

Thanks, Stephen!
And thank you, Dorico, for rethinking computer music notation from the ground up.