In search of a better click for N5

I have the NEK for N4, and therefore I use LM-7 drum sampler, which has enough variety that I set up a MIDI track for my click. I like doing it this way for a number of reasons - probably the most important one being that I can automate the volume so it’s quiet at the begining and end (and quiet bridges) of songs.

In N5, I don’t have the NEK so drum parts are not editable. PITA. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas for a simple, low CPU/memory sampler that I can install for free/cheap that will let me choose drum wav files as my click track, triggered with MIDI.

I’ve tried using the stock N5 metronome and don’t like it. I also tried using custom sounds with it, but they crackle and it’s very distracting (has anyone else experienced this? It’s not usable…)

Thanks for helping out.

I also tried using custom sounds with it, but they crackle and it’s very distracting

Custom audio samples here with no issues.

Are you using wav files as your custom samples?

I do like to use midi though. Anyone know of a lightweight sampler that would do the job?

Why midi? Wavs are just great…and me thinks, more accurate, too.
Closed HiHat, rim shot, mo’ Cowbell, some others fitting the music styles and ears of the musicians…
also kept in a small variety of pitches.

Big K