In the key editor how can I customize automation track...

I have a large template and I want the key editor to display Volume, expression, velocity and articulations for HS Violins.
But I want the key editor to display Volume, modulation, velocity, and articulations for LASS.
For Pianos Volume, velocity, pedal.

Basically I want different automation lanes to be displayed for each instrument. How do I set that up? Do I have to go in and record something on each track change the automation lanes and then delete the recording so I can save as a template. Is there an easier way?

Are you talking about “Controller” lanes?
If so, I can’t think of any easier way. I can’t think of any way for Cubase to know which controller lanes you want displayed for each instrument without you telling it.
HTH
J.L.

So if I record a couple of midi notes just so I can open the key editor(can’t open with nothing there) and I customize viewable controller lanes, once I delete what I recorded(because I’m setting up a template) will the set controller lanes still be there. Or will it change to the next track that I setup?

Nope, not after editing the controller lanes of a specific event. When you delete the event, the data goes with it.

Maybe the best way to accomplish what you are after is to create a blank midi file with the data that you want on it in the controller lane, such as sustain, expression, or whatever parameter you want (except velocity). Then your project with all the data on the MIDI track except velocity and the LASS instrument selected, create your template. Probably the best way I know of to do it.

Maybe the best way to accomplish what you are after is to create a blank midi file with the data that you want on it…

I do something very much along those lines. For Vienna Symphonic Lib I want to initialize all the controllers I use (8 of them) to sane values for any given part after long rests. I have a midi file that has nothing but the controllers/values I want. Cubase can have more than one project loaded, but only one can be active. That works–what I’m working on is ‘active’, the initialization midi files I use are loaded as additional ‘inactive’ projects. I switch to the midi initialization project I want/copy/back to active/real project/paste. I haven’t found any other method that works. (Trying to do this with the Logical Editor crashes Cubase.)