In Thy Arms - venturing into orchestral music

Here’s a short orchestral piece. I developed the tune using my guitar and Fishman TriplePlay midi controller. I played into the sample libraries and when something struck me as potentially valid I recorded it.

The sound libraries I used here were: Audio Imperia Nucleus and Areia.

In Thy Arms

1 Like

Hi, First I should congratulate you since this is a very hard area to venture into and takes courage so, well done . some notes:
1.At around seconds 27 to 30 the bass line seems to fall behind in timing
2.The panning might be okay for speakers but it’s too extreme for headphones so I’d reduce the panning a bit specially in the second part
3.I was looking to hear more… firstly because you had me interested and secondly because your ending theme isn’t really an ending theme but it sounds like the beginning of the next part which I hope you take the time to compose in the future.
Overall good job though.
Cheers

Masoomi, thanks for taking time to listen and give feedback. There were indeed some timing issues between the celli and the violins. I hope it is better now. As for the panning goes I have tried to adhere to the conventions of how the instruments are seated in a symphonic orchestra. BTW: which part do you consider the second part? To me it is the part starting at 00:23.

You are right about the ending. I think this could still go on and develop into something less gloomy. Maybe I should rename it to In Thy Arms part I :wink:

A sidenote on using Fishman TriplePlay. It does not work so that I just play something and it is done. It does a fairly good job creating midi out of what I play but afterwards I need clean up the midi as quite often some short ghost notes creep into the generated midi file. Often the ghost notes are easy to spot as they are some high pitch glitches but sometimes the software generates a very short note at the start of a longer note. There are sometimes harder to spot and can cause peculiar effects to the sound played back. I also need to adjust the timing and and duration of notes quite often.

Hi HKO, I defer to Masoomi; he’s pretty good at this. Well done! Now I just want to make sure I understand what you did: used your guitar to create the midi parts? Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever heard an orchestral piece done this way! This is very interesting. I’m a guitarist, but I don’t think I’ll be using my guitar to input parts like this. But maybe I need to expand my horizons! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I have a midi keyboard as well but developing new things is more natural for me on the guitar because my keyboard skills are very basic. I used the keyboard to fine tune the expression and dynamics of the parts which I recorded using TriplePlay.

TriplePlay is good on tracking the notes played but it still requires cleaning up and adjustment afterwards. I think it is a very good way for guitar players to use virtual instruments and this way widen the sound palette when making music.

My pleasure, by second part I meant when horns come in on the left channel at about min 1 mark, you see the thing about panning is that a good stereo image is when left speaker and right speaker and your head make a equilateral triangle and thus they make stereo cross-feeding. listening to your song with such a position, I found the stage to be about 20 meters wide which isn’t the case IRL . personally I use 10% to 25% panning as doing more would cause the image to be what I just described. and this only gets worse when we use headphones since there’s literally no cross-feed and it just tires the brain out a bit.

Masoomi, thanks. I did some further tweaking on the panning and also adjusted the reverbs for the different instruments so that they would sit in the space more naturally (hopefully).

Well, after a long time decided to try and improve the stereo imaging and other aspects of the mix still. I think one issue was created by the panning I had done. Removed all the panning as the sample libraries are obviously already panned when recorded. Did quite a bit of other sonic adjustments too. At least to me it now sounds more coherent.

Version 2
In Thy Arms v2

Here’s the original mix:
In Thy Arms