This would be a lot easier to follow if you downloaded the project file. It only includes Retrologue so should be easy to open.
After testing today, I found that the Extract MIDI Automation function in Cubase is highly inaccurate when you make it go faster than 1/16. I’ve done this by comparing various ways of automating the filter cutoff in Retrologue.
Track 1: I just use automation directly on the knob. Works fine here.
Track 2: I assign Filter Cutoff to CC 16 and draw the same automation into the MIDI clip. Still sounds fine.
Track 3: I extract the automation from the previously mentioned MIDI Clip to automation lane. Sounds horribly out of time, most noticeably at marker 1 onward. What’s supposed to be 1/64 just sounds like 1/8.
Track 4: This time I delete the previously extracted automation, and copy and paste the automation directly from track 1 here, so that there’re pretty lines and not just a bunch of dots. Still sounds horribly out of time towards the end.
Track 5: I merge the automation in track 4 back to MIDI clip and realize there’s obviously a problem here. As you can see, starting from bar 19, the actual MIDI information isn’t the same at all as what the automation in track 4 suggests. I think it’s safe to say this extract function is faulty somehow.
Please do your own test and see if this happens to you. I’m using C9.5 so I would be very interested to know if this still happens in 10.
retrologue automation test.rar (77 KB)