Incomplete End/Final measure

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a special way to add the incomplete final measure of a piece if the music started with a pick up bar. I am familiar with adding pick up bars but not quite sure how to do it for the final measure. I tried the same method as creating pick-up bars by typing the time signature + value of measure. It sort of works but it also shows the time signature again in the measure.

There may be a way to hide the time signature or even correctly create the said measure. Thanks in advance.

You donā€™t need to create a time signature. You can insert a bar line (e.g. a final bar line or an end-repeat) anywhere, including in the middle of a bar.

If that leaves you with an ā€œemptyā€ bar at the end if the music, do ā€œtrim flowā€ in the Write menu.

Has anyone come up with a more ā€˜automatedā€™ way of doing this? There are several musical styles that require you ā€˜deductā€™ the upbeat notes from the total of the final measure (and without changing the final measure time signature), and work-arounds take a lot of time. Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s some ā€˜magicalā€™ way of doing it that Iā€™ve missed.

Hi @L3B you can automate the process recording a macro that you can use with two click (ok three clicks if you count selecting the rest) whenever you need it. (sorry for my poor English in the videoā€¦, I hope is clear enough):

2 Likes

How long does it take you to select the (redundant) rest and type shift-b final?

2 Likes

Exactly this. Iā€™ve never had to remove rests or fiddle with anything.

I have had problems with manually adding a final barline and then deleting the bars afterwards, as itā€™s still an explicit barline (for example when I wanted to change the final barlines of the flows to another type, it stayed with the final barline).
So I would recommend using the shift-b, trim method.

Iā€™m not sure Dorico could automate the process any more than the suggestions given above since Dorico will never know when it has reached the final (incomplete) measure until one tells it so.