Inconsistent note grouping? (or overlooking something obvious...)

Hi, I would like to change the tied eighth and quarter note in bar 5 (see example) into a dotted quarter note, like I’ve been able to do so for bar 6, which also crosses the half bar.
I must have tried all the different settings on Note grouping in the Notation options panel by now.

I also tried Force duration.
I tried copying the dotte quarter note from bar 6, I tried changing the first part to three eighth notes just like in bar 6 (after which my desired dotted note of course appears) and then changing the 2nd and 3rd eighth note back into one quarter note, but I can’t fool the system with that either :wink: The tied note is right back.

What am I overlooking?

If your rhythm is consistent through a major portion of the piece, you could set the Meter (SHIFT+M) as [3+3+2]/8 (be sure to include the brackets) and hide the 8/8 time siugnature that will appear if you wish.

If the rhythm only appears occasionally, you are best off using Force Duration.

88rhythm

1 Like

The first measure you picture is correct - the second measure not. The rule is that the middle of the measure in 4/4 time must be visible (the tied quarter on beat 3). Just my 2¢.

3 Likes

Hi Derrek, thanks for replying so quickly! I only have two instances that I need to fix, but your solution works perfectly! I could even set the 4/4 time signature back and hide it as well. Great, since the Force duration somehow didn’t work. Thank you!

If you’re applying Force Duration after the note exists, you have to shorten the note to a legal single value first. For instance, select the eighth-tied-to-quarter, hit O to turn on Force Duration, then type 5 to shorten it to an eighth, then hit 6 period to turn it into a dotted quarter.

1 Like

Thanks! I had tried shortening and lenghtening it with shift/alt+arrows only, which didn’t work. But this also does. Great!

Notesetter, I thought so too, but I’ve been having some discussion about that with someone :sweat_smile: It seems like different people read different options more easily.

I assume shortening/lengthening didn’t work as you need to tell Dorico exactly which values you want with force duration.

1 Like

There might be some exceptions to the rule, but I’m not convinced that this is one of them… :worried:

1 Like

Notesetter, I might reconsider though, now that you mention it as well.
The musician I worked with feels it looks more complicated with the tied notes, but to me they read (sing) more easily (which the rule is what the rule is meant for, I believe)…

Ah Ben, thanks for you reply as well! More reason to reconsider? :wink:

For what it is worth, although I am happy to tell you how to accomplish what you set out to do, I would have notated the passage in straight 4/4 with ties myself.

When I was younger, I notated syncopations differently and found players had an easier time playing them if they could follow the standard divisions of the measure.

1 Like

Thanks Derrek, appreciate it!

Okay guys, thank you all!
I reconsidered and are reverting back to the notation I started off with, for all the syncopations in the music piece. A little wiser as far as options in Dorico as well as music theory :smile:

1 Like