Inconsistent (secondary) beaming over rests

Hello,

I’m having some trouble figuring my way out of this one. I have set my beaming preferences as shown

But I still get this kind of beaming all over the piece: Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 5.41.37 PM
Dorico is creating a secondary beam over any 16th rest preceded or followed by an 8th or dotted 8th sound. I have tried the “split secondary beam” from the lower panel in write mode, but it appears to be impossible to toggle it…

Is this a known issue? If yes, is there any workaround that can be easily applied to the whole score/project?

I would think that setting the top option in your screenshot to “Allow rests within beams” would get the desired result, no?

Hmm, no, because that would get rid of both beams over the rest, whereas what I’d like to have is only the 8th beam, and not the 16th…

This is still unsolved, by the way, and I keep getting this very annoying result without being able to adjust it to my convenience…

Unfortunately you can’t selectively choose which durations of rests over which you want beams to extend. Can you select the rest and choose Edit > Beaming > Split Beam?

Hmm yes, I sure can, but that will make both beams disappear (make the rest un-beamed). While what I would like to get is to have only the 8th note beam to be over the 16th rest. I think I didn’t explain it clearly enough in the first post… I will join a screenshot of the desired result: Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 12.48.12 PM
This was engraved with Sibelius some weeks ago, and I’m trying to get the same through Dorico, but none of the combinations of options from the “Notation Options” nor the “Engraving Options” seem to work…

I agree that there should be a way to achieve this result. I’ll talk to my colleague James, who is the expert on the beaming features, and see what we can do in a future version.

1 Like

That would be amazing, thank you! :grin:
Or even if there is any possible workaround with the current version to get closer to that result, it would be great for me.