I’m working on a project with a lot of dynamics, including tons of <>, and I have noticed some strange behavior where some of the messa di voce objects have different amounts of space in them. I finally found a seemingly-perfect example.
This was copied from my existing project into a new project with essentially default settings (at least, whatever I have saved as default) — right now the gap between adjacent hairpins is set to 1 space, and gap between messa di voce hairpins set to 1/3 spaces. If I increase the messa di voce hairpin to 1 space, all the gaps get bigger. These hairpins are not linked vertically. If you delete the 4/4 time signature, suddenly they all look fine. Adding a third cello (so, a staff underneath the currently-lowest staff) also fixes this.
Deleting the piano dynamic doesn’t change anything; changing barline interaction to “stop before” doesn’t change anything.
Minimal Dorico project attached. If Daniel doesn’t have a magical solution for this, I’ll have to delete these problematic <> and replace them with “< >” so that I can at least manually make them look okay. It’s frustrating that messa di voce objects are so… unadjustable, but I understand why that is.
MessaDiVoce.dorico.zip (539 KB)