Incorrect Chord Symbols

Hi

Try as I might, I can’t get Dorico to label an Inverted Dom7th correctly . Am I doing something wrong ?

best

e
seven

Are you playing in the chord or typing Eb7/Db and it turns to Eb/Db?

The chord is in the score. Try and add a symbol and that is what it says. If I put it in root position it labels it correctly

e
seven2

There’s no way of influencing this particular bit of the Generate Chord Symbols from Selection functionality (assuming that it’s that functionality you’re using). Eb/Db isn’t wrong; it’s just different to what you want. Double-click the chord symbol and replace it with what you want.

1 Like

Ok

thanks . How would I add a Fr6th ?

e

Do you mean an F6 chord? Or a French augmented 6th chord? F6 you can just type in and it will spell according to your Engraving Options. French 6th, you can’t easily do with chord input, so I would just type it in as text.

Sorry French Aug 6th. So just text ?

Ok Thanks

e

Ok

that was easy enough (shift X) but annoyingly that Text sits higher than the chord symbols. Is there an easy way to have them all appear at the same height on the score ?

best

e

Not easily automatically. In Engrave mode there are guides to help you line everything up though, so it’s pretty easy to adjust the vertical spacing.

Well, you can adjust the default distance that text and chord symbols appear away from the staff in Engraving Options. It’s a bit of a faff, but it can be done.

These distances aren’t calculated the same way though, right? Text is measured from the baseline and chords are from the descender? The first bar below is a chord symbol with the default distance of a space, and the second bar is Shift-X text, also with a default distance of a space.

Because they are measured differently, I find any sort of auto alignment between the two types tricky. In any case, chords are simple to align across a system with that corresponding checkbox, and the guides make it easy to vertically position any additional text so they align with the chords.

Perhaps the British English idiom of “a bit of a faff” doesn’t translate into American English :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“ballache” is the prefered American Expression… They are pithy and direct, our brethren overseas.

best

e

I tried to read that word as French at first, and I thought, “What?”