Incorrect engraving of tied natural harmonics

Hello,

When I add a natural harmonic on a tied violin note, the additional noteheads in the tie do not display the harmonic articulation again. Is there any way to fix this?

For the time being, you have to switch to Engrave mode and select each notehead in the chain of ties individually, then apply the notehead again there.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks, but I actually meant natural harmonics written as the little circle articulation above the note. With tied natural harmonics you normally see the circle being written again each note of the tie.

I think the default behaviour should be as mducharme describes, showing the circle symbol above each note in the tie.
In the meantime I have the following rather clumsy workaround: select the whole tie and apply the harmonic symbol more than once by clicking on it in the righthand panel. Dorico will happily stack more than one circle above the first note in the tie chain. Then, in Engrave Mode, you can drag some of them above the notes that follow.

Thanks PjotrB, that works, but seems kind of silly, and I would worry a bit about display in parts.

It looks to me that the problem is that while most articulations should only appear once in a tie chain, there are a few exceptions that should appear above every note, like harmonic circles and the stopped + indication for french horns. It seems that Dorico does not handle this case correctly by default.

FWIW, I am not sure that what you want is notationally correct. For instance, Mahler’s First Symphony begins with harmonics that extend beyond the first page. The little circle is placed over the first note and not over the tied notes that follow. Similarly, in the case of the cross above a horn note, indicating a hand stopped tone, I refer you to Mahler 9, first movment, b.239, etc, where tied notes do not have the cross repeated.

This is the norm as far as I am aware. See scans appended.

David
Mahler9-horns.jpg

What I want is notationally correct. Elaine Gould lists it as optional but recommended (for the stopped horns anyway, Behind Bars pg. 263), especially with longer ties or with a page turn. For natural harmonics, Gould does not comment, but her tied examples with the circles always show it again above the next note in the tie (pg. 414 and 423), and this is the way I most typically find it in scores. I have had players playing tied harmonics for a large number of bars in a row in orchestral repertoire, there is the risk that someone would forget that it was a harmonic picking up in a system when the harmonic only occurs on the attack in the previous system.

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. This is something that we will tackle when we come back around to work on playing techniques, which I hope will be relatively soon. In the meantime, try putting the caret at the position of each notehead in the tie chain and create a new playing technique from the Shift+P popover: that should work fine, though you’ll have to do it for each rhythmic position.

Thanks Daniel, that is at least reasonable for now, though I am looking forward to a better fix in the future. A question though - if you do actually fix this properly, am I suddenly going to end up with two harmonic circles over each notehead instead of one when I go to open the score later, in a newer version once the fix is done? Or will you have some way of fixing it that doesn’t change the appearance of existing scores?

Thanks!

We probably wouldn’t be able to apply the new technique automatically, but we should at least be able to ensure that the appearance of your existing project is retained. That would certainly be our goal, anyway!

Great, thanks!

Have to admit I personally prefer it only on the first note of a tie. If one does not wish the subsequent notes not to be a harmonic then simply untie it.

Is this addressed in the upcoming release? I’m on 3.5.12 and finding this as frustrating as OP.

It is already fixed since I think version 3.0? You have to select the note and go into the inspector panel at the bottom and use the “Harmonics” options there instead of using the playing technique with the circle.

Thanks, Michael!

hi, this is an old thread, and it seems the answer was given. But I can’t figure out how to make the second natural harmonic (circle), disappear on the tied note.

Thanks.

Using the Harmonic property, there’s no way to prevent the circle from appearing above each note in the tie chain. You can use an explicit harmonic playing technique if you prefer: if you create that with zero duration it will appear only above the first notehead.