Incorrect MIDI Import in Cubase 10.5.20

Hello,

In my Cubase 10.5.20 Build 179, MIDI file import either by dragging it in from a directory or via File → Import → MIDI File … appears broken.

The symptom is that the MIDI notes in the file do not correctly line up in Cubase 10.5 with their actual position.

I have, for example, imported the same MIDI file into 2 other DAWs, and into Cubase 9.5 and all show the correct alignment (at the measure boundaries).

However, my Cubase 10.5.20 Build 179 does not show the correct alignment.

It sure looks like a Cubase 10.5.20 bug from here. Pictures and MIDI File (zipped) attached.

This should be easily replicable by anyone using the provided file for import. I’ll be surprised (but certainly interested) if it is not …
Cubase 10.5.20 Bad MF Import 02.jpg
Cubase 9.5 Good MF Import 01.jpg
(Dm7 A7 Dm7 D7).zip (433 Bytes)

Hi,

Have you made sure that the timeline is set to beats and bars instead of seconds?

Best regards,
Matthias

Ah, very interesting! As I suspect you saw from the pics above, 9,5 had the timeline set to beats and bars and 10.5.20 had the timeline set to seconds.

I reset the timeline in 10.5.20 and got a clean import. THANKS!

I would like to understand this better though, if anyone can comment. IOW, why the difference in behavior? Is it documented anywhere? My understanding is that MIDI Files represent time in one of two ways: ‘ticks per quarter-note’, or ‘ticks per frame’. Isn’t that choice supposed to be carried in the MIDI file itself? Shouldn’t the importing program (Cubase) respect that and calculate accordingly regardless of the timeline display setting? Or, is the supplied MIDI file somehow deficient in specifying this info, in which case the timeline setting would be a sensible default to go by?