Increase distance from end of one flow to the beginning of the next one

Hi All,

What value (and where is it) can be set to increase the distance from the end of one flow to the beginning of the next one? There is extra space at the bottom of the page that I want a little of it between the flows.

I tried inserting a gap at the top of the Flow Heading, and that did work. But it didn’t work if the new flow was at the top of a page.

Thanks! All the help here is really appreciated.
Tom

Have you got manual staff spacing overrides on this page? Or particularly large bottom page/music frame margins? The bottom of that 2nd flow looks oddly high for the default…

@Lillie_Harris Hi Lillie,
No page overrides. Here is another page that looks fine at the bottom.

This page is at 98.4% capacity.

Thanks,
Tom

Interesting - going back to your initial question then, changing the margins above/below flow headings is probably what I would have suggested. It’s probably expected that those settings don’t affect a flow starting at the top of the page, but in those instances you could have a separate master page where the music frame starts a bit lower? Or, move the system handle of the first system in the flow up/down - as that’s the position from which the flow heading is calculated.

I’m wondering if on that first page, with the gap at the bottom, if your vertical justification threshold is very high and that page is slotting underneath it?

@Lillie_Harris Hi Lilly,

Here are the settings;

Thanks,
Tom

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you reduce those down to around 80%, that gap at the bottom of the page will disappear. (If you’re not already familiar with the difference between those 2 settings, there’s an example at the bottom of this page that hopefully demonstrates the difference.)

@Lillie_Harris Hi Lilly,

The problem is that I have 111 flows in this file. 80% of the flows are fine.
I am trying to find a solution that fixes my issues without causing more problems.
I am going to try an alternate master page.

Thanks for the comments!

Tom

If Tom’s first example uses a First Page MP, then isn’t it logical that there is a cutout for Copyright? Wouldn’t that have to be fixed if the music is to space all the way to the bottom, or does that field disappear automatically?

Fair enough - if changing the vertical justification to make sure all reasonably-full pages extend across the full height of frames causes more problems than it solves, then more local solutions might well be best in this situation. Using staff spacing to move the first system up/down will allow you to move music down into gaps, and as long as you move the system handle rather than the smaller staff handle, any flow heading immediately above will move with the system.

@Derrek Hi Derrik,

Good thought, but the First Page MP isn’t one of the pages I displayed here. And on the First Page MP, I removed the Copyright entry.

Tom

I am going to make a copy of my file and try your 80% on that copy and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Tom

The 80% worked like a charm. I created several new master pages, and I switch them in when necessary. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Tom

1 Like

Smashing, that’s great Tom!