Independant Track Loop Issue

Cubase 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i5-4750 @ 3.20GHz
8GB RAM
Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD
NVIDEA GeForce GT 710

Hi

First post here. Sorry it has to be a negative one - on the whole, I love Cubase 10.

I have a problem with the Independant Track Loop feature. I don’t know if this is something I’ve misunderstood, or if it is an issue with Cubase. I didn’t notice this behaviour before the 10.0.30 update. I’ve searched Google and this forum for similar problems, but only found passing references, and no real explanations or solutions.

It seems that when I enable Independant Track Loop, the playhead immediately becomes offset in the editor relative to its position in the arrange window. The offset seems to have some relation to the position of the left locator. If the left locator is at 1.1.1.0, then there is no offset. If the left locator is at any other position, then the problems start! I’ve attached screenshot, showing the left locator and the playhead at 3.1.1.0 in the arrange window. You’ll notice that the playhead in the editor is at 5.1.1.0. This obviously makes the Independant Track Loop function fairly unusable. As I say, I don’t know if this is something obvious I’m missing (wouldn’t be the first time!), some setting I’ve inadvertantly altered, or if it’s a bug introduced in the recent update. I haven’t made any other changes to my set up prior to noticing this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

To me it works exactly the same way as it worked in Cubase 10.0.20 and Cubase 9.5.50.

The main idea is: The Independent Track Loop always counts its position from the project start.

So in your case:
Project Cursor position | Independent Loop Cursor position
1.1.1.0 | 3.1.1.0
2.1.1.0 | 4.1.1.0
3.1.1.0 | 5.1.1.0
4.1.1.0 | 6.1.1.0
5.1.1.0 | 3.1.1.0

Now a bit more complicated example. Imagine your Independent Track Loop starts at 3.1.1.0 and ends at 4.3.1.0.
Project Cursor position | Independent Loop Cursor position
1.1.1.0 | 3.1.1.0
1.3.1.0 | 3.3.1.0
2.1.1.0 | 4.1.1.0
2.3.1.0 | 3.1.1.0
3.1.1.0 | 3.3.1.0
3.3.1.0 | 4.1.1.0
4.1.1.0 | 3.1.1.0
4.3.1.0 | 3.3.1.0
5.1.1.0 | 4.1.1.0
5.3.1.0 | 3.1.1.0
6.1.1.0 | 3.3.1.0

Is it clearer now?

Sorry, I didn’t manage to make a nice looking table here.

Thanks for the reply Martin. Much appreciated. I see what you’re saying - and your examples reflect my observations.

I only recenly started using this feature again, after reading up on how it works in Cubase 10. The last time I used it was in the old MIDI only days on my Atari - a LOOONG time ago!

In those days, I used it all the time to create and then repeat small looped sections within larger arrangements. As I recall, the cursor would then count its position from the left locator, rather than the project start.

The way it works at the moment, if I have number of bars looped somewhere in the middle of my arrangement, and I want to use independant track loop to make a repeating one bar phrase within this loop, the start point of my repeating phrase will not be at the left locator. Which is troublesome.

So, maybe what I thought was user error or a bug report is actually a feature request.

Hi,

Yes, I agree, this sounds more lie a feature request to me.