I am calling it “horror” just because for now this is the most complicated problem I have in Dorico.
In this topic I explained my problem with independent open meter part.
It’s hard to impelement open meter part without bars in a big score, when you have global time signature changing all the time. I followed by snakeeyes021 advise (which is – I think – only possible solution) and implemented to this part global meter change and to rest parts (of a really big score, let’s call it “tutti”) independent global changes. And it was very bad experience for me. Thats why:
– it took me a lot of time to implement independent changing time signature to all parts, and I had to do it almost in every bar (because I have very variable narration in my piece)
– this is of process of composition, not engraving existing score, so from time to time I am deciding to create new instrument. Of course I have to implemet independent time signature changing and because the new instrument is appearing sometimes in the middle of the page, I have to also change the previous meters, event if his part is empty
– during the narration of the piece another instruments are starting to play ad libitum, so I had to manage it (it was not so easy)
– Because of “hide empty staves” I started to have a problem with bar numbers, because in every page different part is at the top. Sometimes it was a part from tutti (global time signature change) and sometimes one of the parts with ad libitum (each of them has a different bar numbering).
– now some of parts don’t have common barlines any more, even before the “ad libitum” section and after. It’s occurs only in galley view. In page view it is ok.
– QUESTION: I had one week brake. After that, when I returned to my score, I get lost, because I forgot which parts are with global time signature changing and which have independent. Is it possible to somehow check it in the score? Is anywhere the information about it?
– QUESTION: after “ad libitum” part of the piece I tryed to reset the independent time signature in all parts to have one global time signature, but I don’t now how can I do it. Any ideas?
If I could keep the global time signature to the tutti, It would be much, much easier to deal with polymetric music in big orchestra. Please, Dorico team, do something with it in next reliese. The open meter music (aleatoric, sonoristic, etc.) is still very hard to engrave in Dorico.
Thank you in advance.