Independent voice playback & divisi

With VePro:
Wanting to set up the string section so that when a divisi-split occurs, the top line is playing back a solo violin sample. However, when enabling Independent Voice Playback the top line remains tutti (in the playback), and the stave below becomes the solo playback…

How to tell Dorico that the new divisi-part shold be routed to the second lane in the Independent Voice Playback section?

In divisi changes, the topmost line remains the “constant”, especially if you continue using the same voice(s) that was/were active on that staff before.

If you create a new voice and only input solo notes into that voice, you can then route it independently of the tutti-voice on the topmost staff when it’s the unison staff.

hm, how would you route it? Not sure I understand, sorry;)

Could one to do this by way of instrument-changes? Like an alternating flute / altoflute, ie, adding a solo instrument to the string section? Or would all the stringplayers then get both parts (solo+tutti) ?

When independent voice playback is enabled, each voice that belongs to the instrument gets its own endpoint.

Therefore, a new voice that only exists on the top staff in the bars where there’s a divisi change that makes the top staff the “solo staff”, can be routed to a new endpoint, where you can make sure the sound is “solo”.

If these “solo division” notes are in a different voice to the “unison on one staff” notes either side, then changing the routing for the “solo” voice won’t affect the sound for the “unison” voice.

(You can’t have both instrument doubling and divisi: doubling is only available for “single” players, whereas divisi is only available for “section” players.)

Ok, but I don´t see how I can change the routing at a specific point in the score? If the top line (default tutti) is routed to my “tutti-channel”, and then gets labelled “solo” , it doesn´t makes sense…

This is because the voice in the top line remained the default Upstem voice 1 and hasn’t been reassigned to a new voice for solo violin. So Dorico thinks you haven’t yet changed the instrument assignment.

Dorico’s default routing is: 1st voice → 1st staff = endpoint/audio output. When you enable the independent voice playback, Dorico creates individual routing for each additional voice (as you apply them) and each additional staff.

You can then have music appear on the same staff but manually assign the relevant portions of it to different voices (i.e. tutti get the 1st upstem voice and solo violin notes are converted to 2nd upsteam voice etc) and Dorico will reveal the outputs for routing them in the Play Mode. You will see the icons in these outputs that denote up/downstem voices and additional staff numbers

Thanks, ebrooks.
So, am I confusing two separate features here? Namely, the divisi-function and the Independent Voice Playback…? Are the two not linked?

• Divisi will simply split or add staves in the layout.
  • Enabling intendent voice playback will allow to route the default voice on each staff independently
  • Manually assigning additional Voices to notes will further allow to route each “voice” independently even though it’s on the same staff

If you want to have Tutti Violins I and Solo Violin sit on the same staff, you will have to manually apply a new voice to Solo Violin. That new voice, once it’s been assigned, will appear as a new routing channel in Play Mode. As you can see from your image, you only one Upstem Voice (note and stem symbol) on staff (a).

The screengrabs above shows what I thought would happen, given that the top staff gets labelled “solo”. But then the voice strting out as tutti would need to be routed to the solo violin-channel.

These look like regular text labels to me. What you would need to do instead is to select all notes for Solo Violin and go “Voices - Change Voice - New Voice”. Then a new line will appear in Play mode, showing that new voice and allowing you to route it independently.

Show voice colours to make it more visually obvious what’s going on in terms of voice-management.

1 Like

1 Like

This explanation helps me a great deal! Thank you!

**Leigh

Aha, so you are not using the “Add divisi” functionality, but simply create a new voice? And have you written in “tutti” in system text?

Yes, but the principal is the same. Using a different Voice on the top staff of a divisi, one can assign an alternate sound to the instrument on that staff. Then, by changing back to the original Voice, one can return to the original sound.

Is there a difference in how Dorico handles the split if you specify a solo player as one of the divisi staves as opposed to both being sections?**

AFAIK Dorico always labels the top staff as solo when one creates a solo/gli altra divisi. I’m not sure that Dorico changes the sound set assignment, though, at that time. One should still be able to add a separate Voice via IRV to send the affected notes to a solo sound and assign an alternate sound to the gli altra staff if desired.

I do not work a lot with divisi, so if someone with more experience has found differently, I welcome the correction.

divisiWithSolo.dorico (985.2 KB)

I recently had a piece where there were several normal section divisions and one of a few bars where 1st viola/cello/Contrabass played without sordino while the rest of the section played CS.

Instead of a solo+2 sections I have used 3 section divisions with independent voices. 1 and 2 routed to the section divisi and the third to the leader preset (using BBCSO). In this way there is no separate leader staff created. In galley view this looks like this for the violas with colors activated. Green is the leader.

In the condensed page view it does need a bit of cleanup and a comment like “1° solo senza” and at the end “altri CS”

Very helpful thread: But I am having trouble getting Dorico to route to the tutti section when I restore unison. Will I have to have separate upstem voices for gli altri and tutti to accomplish this? Right now when unison is restored, playback defaults to the solo (top) channel.

Defaulting to the top voice is expected (if not what users prefer). The top staff/voice is what holds the part together. One needs to change the playback sound (one way is through independently routed voices) to make the distinction between solo and tutti.