Indicate shift from grace note to the following note

It looks like I can’t use ‘Indicate shift to next note’ feature to show a slide with with the same finger from grace note to the main one.
Sure, I can use glissando line, but I’d like to have the indication of the slide being placed within the fingering rather than between the notes.
And ‘yes’, I’m aware that in Engrave mode I can move the glissando line.

Still, am I missing something, or ‘Indicate shift to next note’ feature is not applicable to grace notes?

TIA,
Igor Borodin

I believe you can do this. Make sure that both the grace note and the main note have the ‘String’ property set to the same value, and that you have ‘Slide in’ set on the destination note.

Thank you, Daniel for the reply.

For both the grace note and the following main (regular) note I have ‘String’, ‘Indicate shift to next note’, and ‘Shift Direction’ properties being checked (lit).
Yet, I can’t find the other property you mention - ‘Slide in’ - either in Write, or in Engrave mode.
Could you clarify it for me, where that property is listed?

Thank you as usual,
IB

The ‘Slide in’ property can be found in either Write or Engrave mode in the ‘Fingering and Positions’ group in the Properties panel.

Daniel,
again thank you for taking time clarifying the issue.

Here are the screenshots of the ‘Fingering and Positions’ group in both Write and Engrave modes.
The first screenshot - Engrave mode, and the second one - Write mode.
Either I misunderstand you, or ‘Slide in’ property is not there.
I’m on Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM; macOS 10.14.6

Thank you,
IB

Is the instrument you’re writing for actually a guitar, Igor? If so, then perhaps the project originated in Dorico 2.x or earlier and Dorico was unable to automatically switch on the option to enable the new guitar features in the project because it already has fingerings. From page 30 in the Dorico 3 Version History PDF:

Projects created in earlier versions. > To avoid changing the appearance of fingering in projects created in earlier versions, if an existing project contains a guitar instrument or has fingerings, the new features for showing left-hand fingering within the staff and right-hand fingering outside the staff will not be enabled by default. If you find that left-hand fingering will only appear outside the staff and you cannot create right-hand fingering at all, go to the > Fingering page > of > Engraving Options> , and in the > Advanced Options > subsection of the > Design > section, activate > Allow left-hand fingerings inside the staff for fretted instruments> . Beware that this will change the position of any existing fingerings on guitar or other fretted instruments in your project.

Daniel,

I’m sorry to keep pushing that, but just for the sake of clarity:

I’m writing teaching materials for violin (i.e. non-fretted instrument).
To make the exercises a little bit more engaging, I add a few instruments as obbligato - such as a harp and a piano. In other words, the scores are very small - 3-5 solo players.

The screenshots that I posted earlier were taken from the test project created today (i.e. in Dorico 3) specifically for the purpose of solving that puzzle. As a quick test, that ‘project’ had just a couple of bars, and violin solo was the only instrument in the score.

The problem - inability to indicate a shift (a slide with the same finger) from a grace note to the following ordinary note - is the same in the projects created in Dorico 2 and the new ones created in Dorico 3.

If it helps, I could provide a zip with a test.

Thank you again for your continuing assistance,
IB

I beg your pardon, Igor, I’ve been so focused on all the guitar-related questions that I’d not twigged you were writing for violin. You’re quite right that you cannot display a fingering shift from a grace note to a main note on a stringed instrument at the moment. We’ll see about whether this is going to be possible to add in the future.

Thank you, Daniel.

It didn’t occur to me that certain fingering features are necessarily (and justly) linked only to particular instrument, and therefore, I had to clarify upfront that my question was about violin.

IB

I don’t know if this has been addressed in Dorico 4-- I too need to show gliss or slide in in violin parts (fiddle music). The gliss symbol is not much use because it is too small when writing semiquavers or between a grace note and a group of notes. The slide in fingering notation (as available in guitar parts) would also be acceptable.

@geoffry_wharton
Yes, the current version of Dorico allows all that.
IB

Thanks Igor-- but I cannot find the option, and in the help file for Dorico 4.2 it still says

In Dorico Pro, you can only show fingering slides on staves belonging to fretted instruments.

Can you tell me how to do it?

In Properties: Fingering and Positions: Indicate shift to next note?

I still cannot get a satisfactory result. In the screenshot, I have a guitar line (above) and violin (below). For guitar, the result is very clear and easy to read; for the violin the fingering line is somewhere between the fingering and the notes, and I cannot find a way to adjust it. And I cannot get any slide to appear when using a grace note (which is what I want to do) although it is possible with a guitar line. In the last set of notes I tried using “indicate shift” as well as a gliss line, very tricky and not very easy to read.

@geoffry_wharton
Hi Geoffry,
Using your notation, I made a quick example of the possible modifications to glissando lines and shift indicators:

Slice 1.pdf (19.5 KB)
As you can see both gliss lines and shift indicators are adjustable.
In my very narrow experience of working in Dorico, both have pros and cons. (Just a private opinion, not a critique).
Both can be moved freely individually in Engrave mode.
Glissando lines can also (unlike shift indicators) be resized: either individually, or on a project-wide scale.
Also, unlike shift indicators, glissando lines keep their ‘attachment’ to the respective notes, when you transpose the notes.
Since I often use a transposition, adjusting/correcting the positions of shift indicators turns to be very tedious work. (Would be happy to learn, that there is a way to attach shift indicators to either notes or fingering, so that there won’t be the need to re-adjust their positions.)
Yet, despite the above, I still prefer shift indicators over glissando lines for one specific reason: the glissando lines affect the horizontal layout of notes; which may produce unexpected (and, frankly, at times undesirable) results.
Once again, I have very narrow experience working in Dorico.
So, it’s more than likely that people truly knowledgable in the app’s inners can suggest more effective ways of working with that type of graphics.
IB

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate your taking time to check this for me! I am not familiar enough with the Engraving tab (Dorico is somewhat new to me), so I can see this being a good workaround.
(That said, the shift indicators does not seem to work as it should with grace notes. It would be nice if we had the same functionality as with the guitar line).