Individual parts - enharmonic re-spelling? why?

Hello everyone,
I couldn’t find an answer in the forum regarding this problem I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

In my score, the individual parts are not consistent to the spelling I chose on the master page. Here are two pictures to explain better. Probably there is a small checkbox in the layout settings but I can’t seem to find it.

Thanks for your help!

1 master 2 part

Theoretically enharmonic changes travel automatically from score to part but not from part to score. Given this clearly isn’t a transposing instrument, does it sort itself out if you set the part to concert pitch (either from Layout Options or from the Edit menu)?

Thanks pianoleo,
Very strange… no, it doesn’t corrects. I just created the parts, so in theory it should have copied the same spelling.
And yes, it’s concert pitch, I just switched back and forth but no change yet. =(

Update,
In an older saved version I have, some parts look fine. But always when I create a new part, the spelling doesn’t get inherited from the master score. Then the only way of fixing it is if I go in every accidental and type it in again in the master score, in this way it refreshes and changes in the individual part. Quite a big hassle.
Could this be a bug that is happening only with the microtonal accidentals?

Maybe something to look into by the programming team.
Thanks for any further input.

You’ll need to provide us with the project, or at least a cut-down version of it that is sufficient to reproduce the problem, for us to look into it. The designed behaviour is that the notes in the part will use the same spelling as the notes in the full score, unless you specifically adjust the spelling of the note in the part. The only other time I would expect the spelling of the note to be different, or the choice of accidental to be different, would be if the instrument in question is a transposing instrument, and if the part is transposed and the full score is in concert pitch, or vice versa.

Do you have any plans to make the reverse possible? Often I would like to be able to edit enharmonics from the part and have them show up in the score. A feature similar to local and global changes on the properties panel but for enharmonic changes would be great.

No concrete plans, no, but I agree that it would be useful to have a means of resetting the spelling of a note to its default (i.e. to make all part layouts revert to using whatever spelling is provided in the full score layout), and this is certainly something we have talked about as a possible future feature.

1 Like

Thanks,
here it is attached a quick reproduction of the mistake. Note the difference in spelling between the master score and the part.
Please note that the flute part was created new from the Layout panel, so it’s not the one that gets created by default.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Very best,

reproducing mistake.dorico|attachment](upload://d8ngzW8obxb4HcO4v7XV6tuAeRW.dorico) (531.9 KB)

Unfortunately something’s not quite right with the attachment, so the file’s not there. Could you please edit your post to re-attach it?

Sorry about that.
Here I try again, thanks :

reproducing mistake.dorico (531.9 KB)

and an update… I just found out an extended problem. This also applies to other properties such as notehead’s color and scale. Meaning, those things are also not transferred to the part when the part is created in a non-automatic way.

Hello again,
any updates on this case?
as a reminder, in the setup when creating a new layout for an existing part, it doesn’t seem to inherit many important details that should be there.

step by step (what I did on the file I attached):
create a score
add any instruments
write any notes, add accidentals, manually change the spelling of a couple notes to something ‘uncomfortable’, such as double flats, or quarter tones.
go to setup-layout, delete the individual part layout created by default for one of the instruments and create a new one
check the part - things should be respelled and some properties such as noteheads scale will not even be there.

From this point on, if things are changed or retouched in the master page, they do get changed/retouched in the part.

Did I miss to check a property somewhere?
Thanks for your feedback.

The 24-EDO factory tonality system contains a number of alternatives that are all valid for the same divisions. It’s a bit fiddly to do this once a tonality system is already in use, but I find that the following steps work:

1. Duplicate the existing 24-EDO tonality system.
  2. Trash the alternate accidentals (e.g. choose which -3/24 accidental you want, and trash any other -3/24 accidentals). Rinse and repeat for all the accidentals in the tonality system.
  3. Hit OK.
  4. Delete the existing atonal key signature at the start of the flow (don’t panic!)
  5. Select the new (copy) tonality system from the dropdown in the right panel.
  6. Apply it at the start of the flow.

Now you should find that the accidentals in the part match the accidentals in the score.

The relationship between enharmonics in layouts is asymmetrical: if you need to respell something, you need to do it in the score. If you do it in the part layout, it will only respell in the part. This provides flexibility for situations (generally involving transposing instruments) where you may need different spelling in different layouts.

Many properties can be set locally or globally. The switch at the top right of the properties panel determines whether local properties are applied to one layout or all layouts. edit: It doesn’t matter how the switch is set right now; it matters how the switch was set at the point at which you set the property.
By the sounds of things, you’ve set your notehead scale and color locally, where you should have set them globally. You can propagate properties from one layout to all layouts (mostly) if you decide that a local property should have been set locally: select the object or objects on the page then go Edit > Propagate Properties. Bear in mind that a broader set of properties exists in Engrave mode than in Write mode, and that Propagate Properties will only propagate the properties that it can see.

1 Like

hello, thank you so much.
I finished this project I was working on by retouching all the problems manually - which was a huge work since the ensemble was large and the piece was long.

What you describe sounds like a good solution for my next project. Although just one observation, if I changed anything on the master score or write something new, it gets changed in the part, no problem there… it’s just at the moment a the part is created in the layout section that some of those things (spelling, and some properties) didn’t get inherited, but they work afterward as they should.

And thanks again for that reply you sent. I’ve been working for 20 years with different notation software and Dorico is by far the most flexible, quick and with effective workarounds. Even with the extra work I had to put in at the end, it already saved me so many hours in the process of making this piece.

2 Likes