Initial Thoughts From A WL7 Grouser

I (finally) got the WL9 Trial installed…

I have spent dozens of posts LAMBASTING PG for turning my fave app of all time (WL4) into my least fave app of all time (WL7). So I just wanna say… WOW.

Whoever designed the WL9 UI knocked it out of the park. Unlike WL7 or WL8 I haven’t had to crack the manual even -once-. The whole thing works the way I -expect- it to. Not an easy feat given the deep feature-set. WELL DONE! WELL DONE!

Master Rig is -fantastic-. The M/S stuff is one of those things I didn’t know I needed and instantly can’t see living without.

Niggles? Not too many. Oddly, I was never one of those who clamoured for ‘automation’ simply because the guy who masters my records (and he does have 2-3 Grammy’s) NEVER uses automation (his message: “If you need automation, you need to re-mix.” Words to live by.)

Anyhoo, two LONGSTANDING requests:

1. A feature request I’ve had since forever: I REALLY wish you would give the Spectrum Editor at least -some- of the flexibility of Sony or Izotope. It desperately needs multi-point editing.

2. I want NOTES. I want a Notepad, like Cubase, which I can attach to each Montage -and- to each clip in a Montage. I’m constantly using pads of paper to track what I’ve done to various parts of a project. All that should be stored inside the project.

That aside? I’m hard pressed to think of anything that’s missing.

Best,

—JC

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

1. Spectrum Editor (…)

This is much under consideration

1. I want NOTES

You have that for a montage:

And for clip, see the Clip window, there is a “Comment” field at the right side.

Philippe

I agree with suntower. This is the best WL since 6.0 and I have been a loyal WL user since version 1.6 back in the 90’s.

Very intuitive and very well thought out. The UI is well done and the whole program is a joy to work on. The “ribbon” is a great addition and M/S is something I have wanted for a long long time.

Congrats PG on a job well done!

I personally think v9 is the best version ever - better than v6 (there is definitely no way I’d ever go back to v6) :slight_smile:

Hi Philippe,

Two follow up points:

1. Very cool on the Notes and Comments.

But I wasn’t at all clear on my 2nd feature request.

What I -want- is for the notes to move back and forth between Cubase and Wavelab. IOW: if the CPR had global Notes, then those notes should be available when one opens the clip (or WAV) in Wavelab. That would provide continuity from recording/mixing through to mastering.

And conversely, if I update notes in WL, I’d like those to flow back to Cubase.

Upgrade The Spectrum Editor

(I’m taking an on-line hypnosis class)

How’s it working? :smiley:

—JC

What do you want improved in the spectrum editor? I use it about once a week to remove something I can’t remove with manual declick, and it works fine for me. I have Izotope but prefer the convenience of the built in spectrum editor for such things.

In Sony or Izotope you can work on multiple selections at once. It’s beyond wonderful.

+1, Photoshop-style selections, selections of harmonics and perhaps some more flexibility beyond the rectangular marquee.