Project created using multi-timbral instance of HALion Sonic SE in C6.5. All tracks have volume, pan, reverb and chorus automation recorded on Automation tracks. Program Change information is stored in the “base” MIDI track.
Now need to audition the project on another instrument. In this case an external MotifXS (configured as a VSTi in the instrument rack).
Changing the outputs from the track inspector to the MotifXS, initialised in song mode, and hitting Play correctly selects voices (recorded as PC on the “base” MIDI track) but the initial CC values (recorded on the Automation tracks) are not sent to the instrument.
- Create a MIDI track and assign it to HALion Sonic SE
- Insert a Program Change on the track
- Record some automation (eg a Pan setting at the begining of the track)
- Ensure Read Automation is enabled
- Play the track
- Open the HALion Sonic SE editor and select the Mix tab. You’ll see the correct voice selection and the recorded Pan setting on the track.
This is all as it should be. Now:-
- Open the Instrument Rack
- Insert a new instrument (this is where I select the external MotifXS VSTi)
- Change the track output to this instrument using the track inspector
- Check that Read automation for the track is still selected (it should be)
- Rewind the project to the start and press play
- Open the VSTi instrument (eg the MotifXS VSTi editor). You’ll see the correct voice has been selected but NOT the recorded Pan automation setting
I have discovered two workarounds:-
A) Create a new event on the automation track by clicking with the pencil tool. Then delete it. All recorded automation for that track is now sent to the instrument.
B) From the MIDI menu select “Configure CC Automation”. When the window opens, change any option value and then change it back. Close the window. All initial automation is sent to all tracks for all VSTi instruments.
My expectation is that when switching VSTi instrument initial automation values would be sent from the automation tracks. For some reason this is not happening - can someone with more understanding of C6.5 tell me whether I’m doing something wrong or some if there is some preference I need to set to make things happen in the way I expect?
BTW If I don’t use automation tracks and record CCs directly on the “base” MIDI tracks everything works as I’d expect - the CC changes are initialised on the swapped VSTi as soon as I hit Play.