Initializing vst.2X plug-ins very slow at CubasePro8.5 start

I had been running Cubase 8.5 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with no problems with initializing vst.2X plug-ins upon CubasePro 8.5 start… normal with only a slight delay… no problem.

I then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and everything seems to work fine, but… but initializing vst.2X plug-ins very slow at CubasePro 8.5 start… like this takes about 2 or 3 minutes. What’s the problem!!!

Maybe I should uninstall Cubase 8.5 Pro and do a clean install of Cubase 8.5 Pro to see if this solves the problem. By the way I really like Cubase 8.5 Pro, what an awesome DAW!!!

A Steinberg Cubase user since 1999.

P.S. Is there a tutorial on best practice for installing vst plug-ins in Cubase Pro 8.5 64 bit???.. the manual is very sparse in content on this subject matter. The various vst producers seem to put the plug-ins by default all over the place within Window, so my paths to these plug-ins seems complex and maybe this is causing my problem.

Any help will be appreciated… Thank you.

Try the “Windows Defender” suggestion in this thread. Hopefully it helps (a little). :wink:

FYI… I have maybe 20 or so older VSTs version 2.3 & 2.4 on my system. No issues with delayed start time. I have not yet done the Windows Defender idea on my Win 10 system but I did do basically the same thing with my Win 7 system and Windows Essentials and the start time improved a lot…

Regards :sunglasses:

The various vst producers seem to put the plug-ins by default all over the place within Window, so my paths to these plug-ins seems complex and maybe this is causing my problem.

For vst2 plugs just decide on a folder and always install to that (though if you use 32 and 64bit you should keep them separate). Allow vst3 to install where they want to.

If you have multiple vstplugin folders that are all 64bit you can probably get away with moving all the dlls to the one folder and rebooting Cubase to rescan them all.

But this is not relevant to the slow boot. Having plugs all over the place is a little unwieldy but not really a problem…Procks suggestion may well help with the speed of Cubase opening…it less than halved my boot time adding Cubase as exception.

Prock & Grim, thanks for your help. I’ll try your suggestions and see if this helps speed up Cubase boot. I’ll let you know.

I added a process exclusion for Cubase in Windows 10 Defender and wow… it really effectively solved the slow boot problem for Cubase. Prock & Grim thanks for your help. :smiley: