Input Channels

Hi, I have a very General question concerning the usage of Input channels:

Does ANYONE use the capabilities of the input-channels, i.e. does anyone insert effects, control Levels, etc. in the Input channels?

If yes: Why? What is the Advantage of NOT recording a Signal completely “dry”/“unmodified” to disc?

BR, Ernst

One usual answer is when you have a Guitar coming in and want to record it w/ certain settings.
or
Vocals that you want recorded w/ a gate or compression etc… This is one way to alleviate processing power.

People often record vocals with compression to control levels and so avoid overload. It is important to do this as transparently as possible, no more than 2:1, short attack and release (opinions may vary) and just enough threshold to catch the peaks.

But in general I would side with those who say record as dry as possible. It’s easier to add than to take away.

Overload protection hardly makes sense behind the DA.

Scenes were I’ve used plugins on the inputs included tape emulations (i.e. UAD Studer A800)/comittment to a certain sound (artistic decisions with not much tendency to naturalism :sunglasses: ) or maybe an EQ to remove some low end that’s coming up on not so loud sources where I sometimes like to use cheapy ribbon mics that need a lot of gain. Things I’m sure I really want to do anyway.

There’s no advantage to using the same plugins later on the ‘neutral’ material apart from the effort to treat the stuff with offline processing or exporting it.

You mean because it’s all 32-bit fp? It’s still possible to hit the red line and get a nasty crackle if a vocalist gives it too much too close, though, isn’t it? Would a gentle compression not help here? (just wondering)

Good point about the eq, I forgot about that…

He means because the input is already post converter.
You want the compressor before the converter.

Ah yes, sorry, confusing daws with the real thing again!