Thanks for your answer @dspreadbury. Sorry if my question was vague, I will detail the process:
- I select pitch before duration because I want to try different voicings before I enter the chord.
- I extend the caret to all the string section (2 vln, 1 va, 1 vc, 1 db)
- Using a MIDI keyboard, I play a 5 note voicing (1 note per instrument) and I see the notes for each instrument in light gray as expected. The problem is only the notes in the violin range will play as I enter the chord, and I would need to hear what all instruments are playing before choosing a voicing. Just for clarification, the violin is the top staff in the extended caret.
- I choose the note value and the notes are entered correctly.
- At this point, playback for the voicing works as expected and all instruments are playing. But I need to hear it before I enter it and not after.
On a last note, if Dorico only plays the first staff during input, extending the caret to other staves and exploding music automatically wouldn’t be useful to me since I am composing and I want to use my ears.
Thank you so much again for your help and thanks for Dorico, just switched to it and I absolutely love it.