Input on Multiple Staves at the same time - weird behavior and workflow thoughts

Today I’ve been working on a Big Band arrangement and tested the feature “Input on multiple staves at the same time”. It’s all in all very handy and fun but I noticed two things.

1. Inconsistent enharmonic on repeated notes
When playing the same chord repeatedly some notes are written with their enharmonic neighbor. In my example below we have 4 trumpets in the notated key of g major. Trumpet one plays f (I cut off the natural accidental), trumpet 4 plays f sharp.

First hit:

Second hit (the first note in the upper trumpet changed):

Third hit (the second note in the upper trumpet changed):

Maybe that’s something to improve on?

2. Starting input from selection
I find the way of starting note input and then adding staves with shift + arrow keys a little unintuitive. I often caught my self selecting the 4 trumpets like so:

and when hitting enter I expected this to happen:

Unfortunately Dorico started note entry for trumpet 4 only. I think it would be much faster to select the staves with your mouse, hit enter and start playing. I personally think it would be a great option.

I can’t reproduce the problem with the enharmonic spellings. Could you give a little more detail of how you triggered this? What was the key signature? Were there any notes immediately preceding the ones shown in your screenshot?

Sure. It’s reproducibly without any notes preceding:

1. Open the Big Band Template
  2. Change the Key to f major
  3. Make sure your viewing “transposed notation” (trumpets should now be notated in g major)
  4. input the following notes simultaneously and repeatedly on a MIDI-Keyboard:

→ F#4, A4, C5, F5 (Notice if you play D5 instead of C5 everything’s fine)

Other examples are:
→ G#4, B4, D5, G5 (Notice if you play E5 instead of D5 everything’s fine)
→ Bb4, Db5, E5, A5

It’s almost like this specific voicing is confusing the notation system. The key doesn’t seem to be relevant. The problem persists no matter what key I’m in.

One more thing to notice:
If you play the first example on a piano stave it’s fine even if you select both staves. But if you enter it one octave below (starting from F#3) with both staves selected for entry, the problem is triggered.

Let me know if you can reproduce it. Otherwise I’m willing to show it in a video.