Input Transformer Maximum Modules per Track

I have a controller with 32 knobs, so I need to use the Input Transformer to convert the CC messages to perform the same functions on different Hardware Synths. The Input transformer has only 4 Modules, does this mean I am limited to just 4 ‘Knobs’, or is there a way I can utilise all 32 knobs and covert the CC number from each knob through the Input Transformer?

I would probably use MIDI Ox for something like this if the controller can’t be programmed on its own.

Does that mean it can’t be done with the Input Transformer?

You might be able to. But it doesn’t sound like the right tool for the job.
I would look into a solution that transforms the MIDI data before it even enters Cubase. MIDI OX is one such tool.

Thanks for your response.
Would Midi OX be able to perform multiple sets of translations for each of my 8 hardware synths, which in Cubase would end up on different channels?

Probably, but that’s gonna depend specifically on what you want to have happen. It’s free, so you should just download it and see if it works for you. It’s a good general tool to have around anyway since it lets you monitor MIDI traffic on your computer.

To do this natively, You can add a MIDI Control to your MIDI inserts and each one gives you 8 CC’s - so total of 32 per track.

Then create a MIDI Remote for your 32 knob controller and map to those MIDI Control parameters, you just pop the MIDI Control insert into record mode to record any CC automation you want into the timeline. So much easier than messing about with input transformers.

As you can have multiple pages in the MIDI Remote, you can use your controller for many other controls and plugins too. i.e. if you had a quick control page you can even map the MIDI Control inserts to quick controls for quicker ‘on they fly’ style requirements.

There’s also MIDI Device panels too and these can be mapped in a similar fashion - but it’s a feature that’s not been updated in years so would probably stay clear as it’s pretty buggy.

However, Device panels should be the ‘official’ way to achieve what you’re wanting, and you can see the parameters in the mixer panel too - but too fiddly to recommend nowadays.

Thank You for your suggestion. I will give it a go. Given the amount of controllers available now, I hope Steinberg stops dragging their feet in this area. If they in fact read this forum, here is my suggestion on how easy it should be: First you select a track, then a menu function (which doesn’t exist yet). You move a controller - the CC number is displayed. next to that you are asked to enter another CC number (this will be 'converted cc number, or in fact any other action). The process is repeated up to 32 or so times). Then you save it and move on to the next track, Oh so simple.

I have tried to use Midi Control, but it does not accommodate CC’s. When I try to Map a Control Knob, I am limited to a list of Cubase Functions. In that that list there is no way to map a control knob to a specific CC. For example, the knob itself transmits CC74, but I want it converted to CC16 (for that particular track only). I need to repeat this process for up to 32 ‘knobs’. Why? The controller has 32 knobs, I want to permanently label those knobs with the function they will perform, for example, knob 1 will be Filter Cut-off and CC74. That’s fine for one of my Synths, but another Synth’s Filter Cut-off is CC16, and yet another Synth it’s CC41. So if I could only ‘translate’ the CC messages for each Synth Track independently, everything will work beautifully and I wont need to worry about changing settings on anything outside the Cubase Environment.

That list shows the current value (1st column), and then the CC number (2nd Column) which is being sent.

You use the MIDI Remote to learn which CC controls those slots - you only have to do this once. Then when you change the outgoing CC numbers on the MIDI Control inserts that slot will send whatever CC value required.

Good thing about the MIDI remote is that it prevents the original value from passing through too (by default, anyway).

OK. Thank You. I will try again. Quite a procedure.

Hi, I have worked it out. The problem was that I was expecting it to be more complicated than what it was (that’s because Cubase has never been user friendly in this area). Now that I know how it’s done, I really think the Manual can it explain it a lot better. Perhaps a simplified section for people who just want to convert CC messages (for each track) and nothing more.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like