Input Transformer Scale

Hi,

I just would like to know if anyone could help what I need to setup in the “input transformer” to a special scale.
E.g. I setup Aminor - all keys not according to Aminor are deactivated on the keyboard - or play the next higher or lower note.

THANKS!
Chris

You don’t need to use the Input Transformer for this, it’s already built in. I’m not at my DAW so I can’t give specific instructions. In a MIDI or Instrument Track’s Inspector you can set it so the track follows the Chord Track. One of the options lets you have this happen to the incoming midi. You can set it to follow either the scale or chords.

Just realized I do have the 8.5 Op Manual handy. Check out page 829 for details.

Really? :confused:… it’s pages 852-853 and 858 here (“Scale Events”,and “Using Live Transform”)
However, using this method does mean that you have to have at least the desired chord entered into the Chord Track (and then, possibly edit the scale anyways… it offers Harmonic and Melodic minor scales, but if you want the Natural minor, then better to choose the relative major scale anyways (thus “C major” for “A natural minor”) ).
If you do prefer to use the Input Transformer, then…
Upper Section…
Type Is___Equal___Note
Lower Section…
Value 1___Transpose to Scale__[Parameter 1] set the key___[Parameter 2]set the scale
Function = “Transform”

Well only if you think you are looking at the 8.5 manual but really looking at 8.0. :blush:

Actually you can put a Scale on the Chord Track without having any Chords. And of course you need to contend with all the idiosyncrasys of the Chord Track like not having an item for natural minor scales (hey we gave ya the relative major be happy with that) or needing to use D# to get an Eb scale.

I honestly don’t know how to do that! :slight_smile:. I seem to be able to have the Scale lane visible (i.e. to insert an event on it) only when there is at least one Chord event here :confused: .
EDIT: OK got it :wink:… “Automatic Scales” has to be “Off” (same as when editing existing Scales)

Oh I forgot about that. I despise Automatic Scales - all those scale changes whenever you use an interesting chord. It’s turned off on all my templates and I kinda forgot it existed (outta sight outta mind).

Now for my happy dance, “I showed Vic something he didn’t know, I showed Vic something he didn’t know…” :laughing:

LOL :laughing:

Thanks to all of you!!! It was very helpful. In my case I decided to do it with the chord-track and live-transform: scale. Works perfect! It directly pushes the wrong notes to the fitting ones in the scale.

thanks!

Impressive! :laughing:

Adwax, In addition to Live Transform and Input Transformer, I’d recommend that you experiment with the Transpose Function.

Transpose in Cubase offers a lot of interesting tonalities and, even while the lack of Flat Keys and Notes in Cubase is a bit odd, the program Transposes music very well. I’m just tossing this in because you’re talking about Transposing and thought this might be useful for you as well. Good luck.

I think voicing options should be defined individually in the “chords” section of affected tracks, not “one voicing suits all” on the chord track…

Lots of times things feel like this:

Anywho…

Thanks for the posts. I had been looking at harp sample libraries with selectable scales and figured there had to be a way to do this within Cubase. As for the Chord Track, there’s a list of predefined scales already there. Is it possible to create your own scales?

Nope. Often requested but still not there. But you never know what 9 will bring (actually “never” is incorrect since we will know when it’s released - hopefully in couple of weeks).

Well, Vic would have known if he’d have read every post I ever posted! :stuck_out_tongue: