Inputting in music in the Key Editor

I seen in the video that show s the Key Editor now allows to display tuplets of any ratio. Since this topic is not even in the manual as of yet, I will ask here. Can you enter in tuplet values in the Key editor. I still don’t see any such values in the grid resolution selection. If not, then what’s the point? Is there a shortcut when moving notes in the Key Editor to override the current grid resolution (like in Cubase)? I’ve been waiting for graphic editing in a notation app for 30 something years now of using notation apps professionally. These options are a must in order for the app to be useful. You need to be able to enter music in an app freely, and then decide afterwards how best to notate it. Notation is only a rough approximation of how the music is supposed to sound. A notation app should be for creating the music, and the DAW for recording/mixing it, unless of course someone figures out how to get professional notation in a DAW. Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll ever see that day since most people using music apps today probably can’t read music in the first place.

I think from Dorico’s point of view your workflow is backwards. I don’t want to state the obvious, but WRITE mode is where Dorico is designed to input music and the graphical tools in the piano rolls are there to edit it, including tuplets. I think that most people using Dorico do read music, that’s why we love the program, otherwise one might be better suited to Cubase. If you want to write solely in a piano roll view then you could maybe do that in Cubase and then drag over the region into Dorico or export a midi file etc.
Having said all that, I do know what you mean, and other grid values like triplets might well come in future versions, but at least this is a big improvement on 3.5 where moving tuplets in the piano roll was a little arbitrary.

You cannot create tuplets in the Key Editor at present, but it’s definitely something we could add in the future, and we’re thinking about it!

2 Likes

I think the main point I was trying to get at was that music notation programs in the past never really felt very musical to use. When working on large orchestral scores with Finale years ago, we used to refer to Finale as a word processor with a music font. It was fine for creating the scores once the music was written, but not really good for creating music from scratch. After moving on to Sibelius, the experience seemed a bit more user friendly, but still not the most musical. And I’ve still never found a DAW that has notation built in that’s good enough for any professional use. I guess I just hoped back then that by now, these things would have all come together under one roof. I do think that Dorico is headed in the right direction and hope the development continues as such. Since I already have 3.5, I will try out version 4 as soon as I get a chance.

Yes, being able to add tuplets in the Key Editor would definitely be useful, especially for more advanced music (or even when just improvising in real time). Is there a shortcut to override the grid when moving notes so they can be moved about freely in the Key Editor, or must they always snap to a grid point?

I believe notated durations have to snap to grid positions (even if that’s very small, same as in the notated music) but played durations are free.

True that is the core philosophy I think, however you can enter notes in the Key Editor, so it’s reasonable to extend that to entering tuplets. Not for me personally - I hate entering music MIDI and abhor using a DAW for this purpose as most do these days, to me MIDI programming is just that, programming. But before Dorico as @kmm rightly says, there were no real options for those who think in music notation. But, I really appreciate that it shows tuplets now in the Key Editor because it’s easier to navigate them as I have to work on the MIDI.

I think the Dorico team is aiming D4 more for the more common DAW composers who are used to working with MIDI and not traditional score - hence the new MIDI import feature which would be useful for those folks, along with the key entry here.

The bigger feature for me here is the ability to edit the automation and MIDI data, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere. Eventually our notes do have to make it to MIDI (BBCSO is useless without some basic phrase shaping as the built in humanization jitter doesn’t work well with it), so bringing that in close to the score makes all the difference for me.