Inputting Notes into Tuple

Can’t directly input tuples… behavior seems odd. What am I doing wrong?

Please see video: - YouTube

Unfortunately you’re running into a problem caused by a rough edge in how tuplets work in percussion kits. When you try to click those notes into instruments other than the snare, what’s happening is that Dorico is unable to add a note at the position you choose because the tuplet only exists on the snare drum, and not on the other drums in the kit at that position. Dorico can’t create a note at a tuplet position if there’s no tuplet there, so it snaps the caret forward to the next valid position, which is after the tuplet.

But why isn’t the tuplet in the instruments other than the snare? It certainly appears to be.

The answer is that when you’re writing for a drum set, Dorico is actually condensing the music for a dozen or more individual percussion instruments automatically onto a single five-line staff. When you create a tuplet during note input and then immediately add notes to it, Dorico is smart enough to add tuplets on the other instruments as needed. But if you come back to it later, Dorico has lost the knowledge of what was going on, and so it doesn’t create the tuplets needed for the other instruments.

This is an area that we have been working on, and it will be a lot more reliable in future versions of Dorico. In the meantime, change the presentation type to Individual instruments on the Players page of Layout Options to show the kit as a bunch of single-line instruments. Add the corresponding tuplet on the other instruments, and when you switch back to showing a five-line staff, everything will look OK.

Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!

Daniel… I appreciate the detailed and candid response. Very glad to hear “This is an area that we have been working on, and it will be a lot more reliable in future versions of Dorico”.

The workaround I’ve been using is to add the other tuplet notes using the same instrument… then using Shift+Up/Down to get the actual instrument I want.

Thanks again.

I suspect this issue is related? Copying a measure that has tuples ends up missing some of the notes…

I just tried inputting and then copying and pasting this specific pattern into our current development build, and it does indeed copy and paste correctly.

1 Like

Here’s another related?