Inputting rests

Thanks Daniel for the tip :pray:

I tried Keyword Search but it doesnā€™t worked for meā€¦ :thinking: I then tried from AppleStore this free Safari extension:

ā€œSmart Keyword Searchā€ works fine for me on Safari/macOS Big Sur

Click on this:

Try these entries:

Name (optional) : Dorico 3.5 Operation Manual

Prefix : dr (or hlp or anything else)

Target url : https://steinberg.help/dorico_pro/v3/en/search.html?searchQuery={search}

Now in the address bar, type the prefix followed by your word search, example: dr smufl

You will get all SMuFL results browsed from Dorico Help webpage.

Hope this helps too!

Hereā€™s how to make a Dorico Help accessible on a key shortcut in Safari:

1. In Dorico, access the Help pages with Command /
    (So, thereā€™s a shortcut already, in the app where youā€™re most likely to initiate searches!)

2. Create a Bookmark for the page in Safari.

3. In System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, create a shortcut for ā€œDorico Helpā€ (or whatever name youā€™ve given to the Bookmark).

Then type stuff into the search field. Bingo.

1 Like

Forgive me for asking such a simple question but I canā€™t find the answer anywhere. I have an arrangement that starts with a pickup bar - 1 beat. The down stem voice in the treble clef has a quarter note - fine. The up stem voice should have a rest in it, but I canā€™t for the life of me figure out how to do this. How on earth do you actually input a rest?

Select the alto note
Enter for note input
V to switch to the upstem voice
Comma for rest mode
Force Duration, O
Press any Aā€”G letter once to input the rest

Dan - Thank you so much - success! But what a convoluted way to do it!
Gonna save that for future use.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

It looks more convoluted than it is. Only the last 3 items (Comma-O-{any note name letter}) really belong to ā€œhow to enter an explicit rest.ā€

Normally, of course, we neednā€™t enter rests at all; Dorico takes care of that. Itā€™s only in a specific (relatively rare) situation like this that we have to get fancy.

1 Like

You could try pressing V to get the up-stem voice active, and then Shift B, and type ā€œrestā€.

Good to know