Inputting sharps on a German keyboard

Hello,

“?” for inputting sharps on a German keyboard is inconvenient as it requires to press two keys. I am aware that the acute key, which would be the right key for sharps, is a dead key by default, but I’ve also seen programs that allowed to use the acute key for keyboard shortcuts. So, it would be helpful if one could use the acute key for sharps.

Yes, we know it would be useful to be able to use the dead keys on the right-hand side of the German keyboard for accidentals and articulations. We’re looking into this but it will take us a little bit of time to iron out all of these issues with internationalisation.

I understand. As long as it will be addressed in a timely manner, it is fully ok. It just would be suboptimal, if one thinks, “?” would be sufficient. Also from the aspect of accessibility, it is not ideal at all.

I use a German QWERTZ keyboard and, like many of the shortcuts, the use of 0 - = for natural flat sharp rely on the English keyboard layout, which puts them all next to each other. OK if you have such a keyboard (though possibly not everything works with a US keyboard) or can remember where these charactes are on the UK keyboard. In particular, = requires SHIFT to work on the German keyboard. More logical might be to use + instead of =, as this does not require SHIFT.

But the problem is that + will probably be defined for some other function (I am not yet sufficiently up to speed to know whether it has been allocated already!) I suppose you cant make all the people happy all the time!

David

safer bet is to reassign the # key (rather than the +) to sharps, less likely to be a crucial key in upcoming mappings and by its optical nature intuitively connected to the sharp symbol

Good point, Delgado, though I think - and + are better for consistency.

Is it not possible to define a different set of shortcuts (comparable in ease of use to those already defined for UK keyboards), which can be chosen on the basis of the actual keyboard in use and independently of the basic language installed? This could surely be made automatic (and over-ride-able) by Dorico taking note of the keyboard mapping and could be over-ridden by the user. In other words, whether the English- or German-language version of Dorico is used, the user would be able to specify the layout of the keyboard in use and choose to use shortcuts appropriate to it. Thus, instead of 0 - =, which are side-by side on UK keyboards, for the QWERTZ keyboard one might have - . + which, while not actually side by side, do have the merits of being on the RHS and not requiring a modifier.

David

That’s actually how Dorico does it already, David. You can choose the keyboard language on the Key Commands page of Preferences, which loads a different set of shortcuts, adapted to the specific keyboard layout for that language. However, there are some problems that prevent some of the keys we want to use on various European keyboards from working properly, and we’re looking into those problems at the moment.

Daniel,

Looking at http://localhost:53515/dorico/keycommands/ (which appears when I press “print summary” on the key commands page of preferences), whether I select German, English US or English UK layout, I still see in the list “Question mark = sharp”. But nothing shows up on the top (numerical) row of keys for the shift functions. Is this still work in progress? (If so, I can be patient!)

BTW, I do miss the reference manual that came with Sibelius! (Another problem with Windows is that hitting shift a few times on the page referred to above toggles the “sticky keys” panel!)

David

Look in the Key Commands page of Preferences, rather than specifically in Help > Key Commands.

That’s where I looked, and the only option to get a list was “Print Summary” on that page – which is where we came in. In my experience, the only way I can learn new shortcuts is to see them all listed together.

Ok. I found what you mean under “search”. The > signs for expanding a menu tree are not obvious. Would it be possible to make it so that this happens by clicking (or double clicking) on a branch? Also, selecting a shortcut and changing the keyboard language does not change the shortcut without deselesction and reselection.

David

Think of the keyboard language control as effectively loading a completely different set of keyboard shortcuts, rather than influencing the way that one individual shortcut for a specific command works.