Inputting whole rest in the second voice

This should be elementary, I know, but I’m banging my head against the wall trying everything. This is the source bar I’m trying to input: a half note in the 1st voice (stems up), and a whole rest in the 2nd voice (stems down).

Here’s exactly what I do in Dorico that doesn’t work (and I’ve followed the instructions here closely: Inputting rests)

1. I successfully enter the up-stem note. That part is easy:

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 10.35.04 PM

1. I re-enter note entry mode by double-clicking the stave, then hit V to go to the second voice (down stem), and it does appear ready to enter:

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 10.35.19 PM

1. On the left side, I click the whole note (since I want a whole rest) and I click the rest tool and also force duration (not sure why I need force duration, but I’m following instructions:

1. Following instructions, I press the Y key (not sure why). This time, unlike other times, I do get a whole rest, but it’s not centered in the bar; it’s on beat 1. Why?

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 10.37.00 PM

I would not use the “input rest” technique, but rather use shift B, rest, when the down stem voice is selected in the caret. This will input a bar rest and not a whole note rest. Hope it helps.
Out of topic: Since the original source is a divisi, don’t you want to use that in Dorico?

Here you go:

1 Like

@Lillie_Harris perfect answer, thank you. I hadn’t found that when searching for it.

@MarcLarcher this is a double bass part in an orchestral score, and it only has very occasional divisi, therefore, I thought, it doesn’t warrant setting up separate staves; it’s better to just use voices in this instance.

Out of interest, what and where did you search? Typing this thread’s title into the Dorico 4 online manual’s search brings up that page as the 3rd result.

I guess I overlooked it. I think I tried both Dorico Forum and Google searches for something along the lines of “dorico rest in second voice” or something like that. My bad.

That’s useful to know, thanks!