I frequently find myself wanting to insert an additional bar or bars just before a change in time signature - but these inserted bars always have the new time signature, whereas I want the “before” time signature.
Yes, yes. There are various ways of doing this - but they all involve multiple steps. E.g.,
- Insert new bar - this bar is empty and it has the new time signature
- Copy the new time signature into the bar where you really want the new time signature to start
- Next if “before” time signature has fewer beats, then turn insert mode on
- Delete the time signature in the empty bar
- If your previous time signature had fewer beats than the new, you will now have an additional bar with the remaining beats. Delete that bar
- If you want multiple additional bars at the previous time signature, insert those as well just before the empty bar
And yes, you can also insert your new bar(s) just before the last bar in your “before” time signature, but this has it’s own particular set of problems.
Is there any simple way to insert additional bars that have the “before” time signature? E.g., Alt-Shift-B?