Insert bar between endings

How do I insert a bar between 1st and 2nd endings that is part of neither? (It’s the last bar of a da capo; the 2nd ending is the first bar of a trio-like section.) I was able to fake it by moving the 2nd ending sign in Engrave mode, but if playback of repeats ever makes it up to the top of the list (low priority in my opinion) it would be nice to know the correct way to do this.

Can you mock up an image of what this might look like?

Here is my faked version:

In galley view, the 2nd ending is the bar before the 2/4 bar, but in the faked version I’ve moved the 2nd ending by dragging in Engrave mode. The in-between bar should have a Fine text mark on it.

Unfortunately this is not possible in Dorico at the moment: surely it would be more correct to show an ending line over this bar, and for it to be numbered 3?

Yes, you’re right; I’m duplicating something in the 18th-c. original, but the 3rd ending idea is indeed correct by current standards.

Now: How do I get the endings numbered correctly? The 1st ending is correct; The middle bar (the one I faked with no ending) should be numbered 3. and should have a hook at both ends; and the one at the 2/4 measure should be numbered 2. and have no hook. When I did what seemed appropriate I got the hooks right, but not the numbers: the endings are numbered 1,2, and 3 consecutively. I tried using the custom text widget, but I couldn’t find a separator that would put one number in each ending; if, for instance, I wrote “1, 2, 3” I got “1, 2, 3” under each ending bracket.

All due respect, in 45 years of conducting, I don’t ever remember seeing the endings out of order as you describe.

I’m accustomed to seeing the 1st ending repeat back, the second ending contain text saying something like (To next) or (To B), and the third ending with the fermata, and often labeled Fine.

Ian, I guess the notation originates from players parts, where it was used to save space (and the players anyway knew, how to read it). A time before conductors were needed.

You should find that if you switch to Engrave mode, you can select each bracket independently and override the text that appears in each one there.

I remember seeing this a few times when learning piano. I’m not saying it was correct, but it made sense when my teacher’s explained it—not needing to look forwards (perhaps several pages) for the final notes or last measure(s). That the numbering was out of normal counting sequence did not matter because it was referring to the order you played them.

Nice to hear from Daniel it can be specified.