I use M/S processing (with Waves H-EQ) a lot, because I can make crazy stereo effects with that.
What I sometimes wish for is a “routing option” for insert slots which offers the following possibilities (in descending order of importance / priority for me):
- M/S -> Insert -> L/R (auto conversion)
- M/S split (one pluging M, one plugin S) and also putting things back together in L/R afterwards
- Stereo split (one plugin with mono left, one plugin with mono right) and putting things together afterwards again
What would I do with it? (A few examples for 2-4, 1 doesn’t need one, obviously).
- Stereo width enhancement, giving “airy dynamics” to the side (with an M/S compressor in the M one can make the S feel like “flying”, which sounds crazy, but sometimes cool, too)
- Using not M/S-compatible plugins for M/S processing (I sometimes make myself a routing matrix in the mixer to create a distortion for M, but this means a lot of “technical” channels
- Some plugins don’t allow separate L/R processing, also this can be used for interesting stereo-chorus effects